Tuesday, December 28, 2010

First Page

Jane Davies here. I was inspired by the three most recent posts - Kelli's, Judi's, and Sue's - to try a few new things in comfortable shapes on a "warm-up" page in my 2011 sketchbook. I seem to gravitate towards grid structures and leaves. Go figure. So I tried watercolor shapes, pen outlines, markers, even a watercolor graphite pencil.

Here is the sketchbook, the one with the black and white cover. I found an old text block I'd made ages ago, sewn onto tapes, which I have forgotten how to do. The paper is a light weight printmaking paper, very inviting. So I made a hard cover for it and bound it badly but well enough to be serviceable.

And here is my opening page, the "warm-up" for the challenge. Can't wait til Saturday! Thanks to all who are posting for the inspiration.


  1. Very nice Jane! What a great start! I love the vibrant colors and the fact that you made your own book!
    Looking forward to seeing more!

  2. Oh how fun !! I am working on mine today. Love all the inspiration and this challenge !

  3. Love your first page - so alive with color! I'm looking forward to following this challenge. (I've been inspired to try to make my own sketch book(s))


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.