Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gearing Up for the Challenge

Jamie Fingal -The is one of my sketchbooks made from an old hardbound book.  I had aspirations about making a "pretty" book, but it just isn't me.  I glued together 5-6 pages with matte medium to make a harder surface, and then in cut out 5-6 pages in a row with an box cutter.  But what I love about it, is that I can take out my Sharpie fine point and doodle till my hearts content.

I think that doodling is so relaxing, and that there are no rules.  Just draw and go.  I could have done a color wash over the pages, but I really like drawing directly on the pages with text.  There was something so basic about this.

My version of leaves and flowers.  You can do this while watching TV or waiting for something somewhere.  How many different patterns can you create?  Imagine the possibilities.

Buttons & Sewing and Cups & Saucers.   I hope this inspires you!

14 comments:

  1. I love these pages. Definitely inspiring. I doodle a lot on scraps of paper here and there that just end up in the garbage but would probably have been great starters for other art projects. Doing it in a sketchbook makes way more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These pages are so neat and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love these pages AND all the inspiration leading up to the beginning of something new for me...how exciting!!!! Loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! Looking forward to adding this to my sketchbook practice. Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these sketches. Yes they inspire me. I just started sketching buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea ! Great inspiration and I am off to get my goodies together so I may join in on this journey !! So fun !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, Jamie. I love this. I can't make up my mind which book I will be sketching in. I am trying to finish up an end of the year project while getting ready for this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so appreciate your visuals ... they are great inspirations and give me ideas to draw in my own new book. I'll be following your blog! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I have done quite a few 'pretty' art journals. They have been a lot of fun, but now I find myself getting bored and wanting to return to the basics.
    Your pages are charming. I might need more doodling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pages are awesome. I am trying to jump into the pool of art journaling, but every time I start, I become too critical. Your pages are very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your doodling!! It inspires me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your sketchbook. I finally ordered one because I joined another class that requires one, so now I will have a nice one and hope it will make me sketch more. Because I am just doing page by page right now and not getting a lot done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work went straight into my heart!! THIS causes me to SING!! Your doodles are the kind of work I want to make, and the coffee cups are the kind I'd like to find IRL to have in a funky coffee shop in the Florida Keys. Oh yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO inspirational! I'm still having trouble loosening up enough to really take off with the doodling. I feel like everyone else's doodles are so beautiful...I want to COPY them, which is not the point, right? I love the idea of doodling over the text of an old book! Thanks for sharing these beautiful examples of doodling! :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.