Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Grid!

Hi all, Diana Trout here with a couple of Derwent Watersoluble Sketch pencil (dark wash and light wash) and my trusty waterbrush. I got super excited about the word "grid" from one of my fellow sketchbook challenge artists. Sometimes, all it takes is one single word to set me on a dead run for my journal. I love making these "doodle grids." No stress, no rulers (although go ahead and use one if you like 'em). I just freehand draw the grid and then begin to fill in the little squares with all kinds of sketchy lines. Cross hatch, single hatch, scribbles, circles, dashes, dots. This is a great way to stretch your mark making skills. Grab that waterbrush (or a wet paintbrush) and soften the lines. You can also draw into wet paper with the pencils. I LOVE those sketch pencils. Really squishy and nice. I found them at my art supply store - a couple of bucks well spent.

A tip on the waterbrush: To fill it, fill a small container of water. Squeeze the brush on the barrel and then immerse the end into the water. Release so that it sucks the water up. Hold it upright again, give it a squeeze and invert into the water again to suck up more water. Continue until full.

This is Nudge 14 over on my blog. The Nudges are a part of The Creative Revolutionaries group that I started a couple months ago. You can get a list of the Nudges here on my blog. If you go here, there are a pair of soup recipes as well.

Enjoy! Diana

14 comments:

  1. Some of our group got those water pencil brushes. I am going for some of the watersoluble pencils. This great all the ideas and hints coming along. Thanks.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, this looks like a fun and very nonthreatening way to loosen up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip. I would have been trying to pour water into that thing all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started sketching as soon as I started reading-
    thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you said that one word can send you flying to your journal. I feel this way, too, and yesterday I couldn't leave my art mess room. I had the best day just creating. I am no artist, but I love art and I have to create...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yea, I do love a grid. that's for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh, grid is an awesome idea to compartmentalize and organize my crazy doodles! Going to go grab my ws pencil. Thanks Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. must go add water soluble pencils to my shopping list...

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are zentangles, but maybe you could call these grided crosshatchings and scribbles, zonetangles or zonedoodles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love my inktense pencils. they work on fabric and paper and can range from subtle to intense on paper. They are wonderful to use and I am looking forward to using them in my new sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found a graphite watercolor pencil a few weeks ago and I just loooooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for the Grid! Always my default mode or starting point. As to Aurora's comment above: hooray for doodling in general, whether you call it tangles or not!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diana, I have some of the water soluble pencils but must admit I haven't used them much. I have the same kind of brush. Maybe I'll go make me a grid and see what happens. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.