Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sketchbook profile : Jill Berry

We'll be posting sketchbook profiles of the Sketchbook Challenge Artists over the next couple of weeks so you can get to know us a little better and first up is Jill Berry...

Jill Berry is a mixed media artist in Superior, Colorado who makes books, paintings, and all things in between.

For the last few years I have been teaching classes in journaling, painting, book making, mapping your life and various other creative subjects having to do with getting messy and expressing yourself. I believe that anyone who wants to can launch into the creative realm, all you have to do it say YES! I hope to have fun in every class I take and teach, and I love visually expressing ideas in all forms. read more...

Why do you keep a sketchbook and how often do you work in it?
I love to draw, and drawing what surrounds me at any given time makes me stop and take notice. There are phases where I draw everyday, and phases where life, kids, and work get in the way.

Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?
I have about four. One for Travel, one just for water themes, one everyday and one that might have a special theme for one event.

What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet,spiral bound etc?) and preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?
I make my own journals of two types. In my regular sketchbook/journal (approx. 8x10) about  I use Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper and Arches Cover Black, plus I throw in a couple of other papers. It is hardbound and often has a spine of oilcloth. The second book I make is only Fabriano Artistico, and I work on flat pages to bind later. This one is for an event or travel and the pages are 10 x 7, they fold down to 5 x 7. I use watercolors, waterproof pens, dye inks and various pens and pencils.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to keep a sketchbook but doesn't know how to begin?
Get the book. Give it to a kid and let them start. Once the book is not blank anymore, it is easier to approach it.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Yes. I tell my students that you can spend a year learning to draw (and I think anyone can do this) or you can not, but the year will go by anyway. Might as well give it a go!

Visit Jill's website here to see more of her work.

Get all the details on the Sketchbook Challenge here.


  1. I think I'm gonna participate! Love Jill! beautiful so beautiful work!

  2. Great interview and the project sounds very interesting. I have added the blog to my link list and will be following you guys next year of course! :-)

  3. I am getting more and more excited about doing will be my first attempt...I am loving it...

  4. I love that last piece. The pier legs remind me of seagull legs.

  5. I love her work. It reminds me of the sketches in my mother's Autograph Book. She was my adopted mother and adopted me when she was 50. Back in her twenties it was fashionable to have friends sign you book. Many drew and sketched as their signature.

  6. Hi Sue. Loved your interview. This sounds like fun and I would love to participate. I have pretty much stopped teaching classes. It is time I finished some of my own projects and just enjoy doing "stuff". This new challenge of yours looks like a good way to do some of that. Dean Deerfield


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.