Thursday, January 27, 2011

Color Collage Pages



Hi, Jane Davies here. I finally identified an issue I'm having with my sketchbook. I am reluctant to draw in it because I don't want to "waste" the nice printmaking paper I used to make the book. Plus, I am just beginning to explore drawing more, so I really don't want to wreck my fine pages. The other day I wanted to practice drawing, so I just picked up a stack of cheap drawing paper and began. No problem. Put the sketchbook aside. (That was the first clue). On the other hand, I prefer to paint on flat paper, not in a book. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

So today I decided I would make that leap into painting in my book. Even though it is not a flat sheet of paper, it's a book. And guess what: I felt much more free doing these color studies in the book than I usually do on paper. I didn't feel that they needed to be finished compositions as I do when working on paper. They are paint/collage sketches. I am quite relieved to have found a way I can use my sketchbook. Maybe someday my drawings will find their way in there, but for now I'm going to do what feels the most freeing. The "Highly Prized" theme?? COLOR. It really is one of my most prized tools.

This is my process: I take a few pieces from one of my color stashes (I cut bits of magazine and other found material and categorize them into color stashes) and a few of my Scribble Painted papers, all in one predominant color. I glue a few of them down to the page using PVA or Elmer's, then take several versions of the same color of acrylic paint - for example, quinacradone red, cadmium red, and napthol red - and start painting. Then I add some accents of other colors, stamping or brushing, tweak it a bit, maybe collage some more, just see what happens. These are not finished pieces, but I get a lot of creative practice and play in the process. To keep the pages from sticking together when the book is closed, coat them with acrylic varnish or diluted PVA.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for an encouraging post! It's so good to hear that even the pros have to have those "get over yourself" moments with themselves from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane I love the vibrancy of these pages! I, too, add a lot of color to my sketchbooks with paint... I use them to off-load excess paint in brushes, stamps, etc and they become the basis for some pretty neat collage/sketch work that goes on top of them later (sometimes years later!)

    Well done, you, I'm happy for you that you've found a way past your sketchbook block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too -- need COLOR!!!!!!!!!

    My reaction when I clicked in to this site this morning, and saw your pages, was YES!!!!!!!!!

    :-)

    Especially love the orange one with the turquoise checks................

    ReplyDelete
  4. JANE! The best post. Almost everyone I work with (and me too) is fearful of messing up a sketchbook.
    I did a quickie tutorial (I'm not an artist) for people on making a bag book so they could "mess up" It's been working!
    Thanks for the validation. Now I think I'll make a how to video for bagbooks!
    http://JudithWesterfield.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely burst of colour, it has been grey and snowy here, so just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you've found a way to get something into your journal book. Sometimes when I have background pages that I can't draw on but want drawing on them is to cut or tear some out of that cheap drawing paper and glue them on top of your background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for some insight on your process. I want to try that. Simply luscious, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have some sketchbooks to "assault"! The colors are so inspiring on this very white and snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pages, Jane!! THanks for sharing.

    steph
    http:purplelotusart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we allllll have this problem--not wanting to "waste" the paper in our sketchbooks. Silly, when you think about it! It was interesting to hear that you felt it was freeing to paint directly into your book. I guess that was because you didn't label it a "finished piece," but rather something like "just an experiment." My sister did a whole book of WONDERFUL pieces which she labeled "just doodles," so as not to exalt the importance of them. We have to trick our minds sometimes, huh? Your pages are gorgeous, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes a lady after my own heart- COLOUR.
    It is what drives me . And drives me to be so muddled and lacking direction as it pulls me in so many.
    But I will get there
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have beautifully verbalized some of my biggest sketchbook ISSUES! thanks for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, As you know I, working in books is easier for me than loose paper and I am not sure why. I do the same as Approachable Art and unload paint and stamps in my sketchbook. Books seem friendlier than that haunting piece of paper floating around my space. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, your collage pages just blow me away! I just love you art!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing these - not only are they gorgeous pages, but I loved reading about your method, and it was nice to know other people have that fear of ruining books too!
    The tip about coating acrylic with PVA to stop it sticking was useful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane,
    I love what you do with color and texture! I just bought your book because of your treatment of color. You've got the most interesting color wheel I've ever seen. I plan to do some color study collages of my own. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.