Friday, January 14, 2011

The Doodle Game

Hi Sketchbookers, Diana Trout here with a drawing game and some thoughts about my sketchbook practices.

As I started to make these first marks in my brand spankin' new Rag & Bone Journal, there was a bit of intimidation. And then a bit of cussin' and then a huge sigh of relief and acceptance. I am rusty! Here is a video demonstrating a drawing game that I use in classes and taken from my book, Journal Spilling.

I made a decision in the early days of this Challenge to do all of the drawings for it in my journal. Warts and all, expect to see my drawings and sketches here. I hope to give you some information along the way as to why a particular sketch didn't work out and also why a sketch did work.

It matters not to me whether my sketchbook is beautiful. Although I completely understand why a person would want it to be beautiful and I have books like that. But not this book. I want to be able to see my growth over this next bunch of months.

Here is the completed drawing from this exercise. I think it's a bit overworked. But I was having fun playing and didn't stop. I love some of these shapes, though, and will use this drawing as a resource.
I hope that you will use this video as an exercise.The idea of not crossing the lines is meant to be a exercise in guiding your drawn lines around each other and developing your hand/eye skills. Ahem: the "rules" are not to be adhered to strictly. Please! The are meant to be a starting point. I'm not much of a rules-type person.

Have fun!
Best, Diana

13 comments:

  1. I loved this exercise, and loved the video. So much easier to do when you can actually see it unfolding. Please, do more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your video's Diana!!! I do like starting with Rules, guidelines but also love it when it comes time to Break DA RULES!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend and I am with Lauren- DO MORE PLEASE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intuition is always the guidepost for my art; I rarely set out with a particualr end result in mind. Oddly, when I do, it never turns out as planned. I like your tutorial because it shows artists to let their work unfold and go with those "errors." Those twists are what make everyone's work so unique! Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this exercise ! Thank you for the inspirations. I am having a blast with this challenge. I had lost my muse when my husband passed away in July. But... she is coming back and having so much fun running around my humble little studio again !! Off to play !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had fun. I have just introduced my fourth graders to doodling. It was like giving them permission to have fun...no rules. Who ever heard of no rules in school. Anyway, I may show your video to them and let them try the no crossing lines "challenge." They are still very stuck on rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool idea! I bought myself Journal Spilling for Christmas (going through a separation and looking for resources to help me through) and I'm really enjoying it. Spilling is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the video.
    I may try it with my little group one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you all enjoyed this video! Thanks for you nice comments. THis is a great exercise to try with groups and kids and anybody! even non-artists. Try all sorts of media with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the video! I have a big pad of blank paper on my desk at work, and often doodle while I am on the phone, I think this doodle would be fun to try while I am on hold on the phone! Thanks for posting the video!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminded me of my Zentangle (doodle) book, must finish it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched the video and tried the it. I can tell you how much fun it is! Thanks Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too tried this technique and loved it! I posted the results here:

    http://cynfulcreationscanada.blogspot.com/2011/01/doodling-exercise.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks heaps Diana...I'm going to try this not crossing the lines....looks like so much right brain fun :-)I'm out to my studio to grab my pencils and India ink...Happy New year from Oz :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.