Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Drawing Faces

Carol Sloan here (again).
I typically don't  like to show anyone my face sketches while I am working on them.
Why?
Well, I usually am so quick to point out the mistakes, the things that I need to tweak
and everything else that I feel I have done wrong that it's just easier to wait until I finish them.

But, since we're all sharing good and not so good work here,
I thought I'd show you what I'm up to this week.

I told you in a previous post that I  draw faces in pencil.
I add layer after layer of  shading with different sizes of pencils.

I will tell you right now that the eyes in this drawing are not "right".
They need a lot of work.
As do a few other things...
But - it's a work in progress.
When I draw faces, they take time...
a lot of time.
And I have to practice.
A lot of practice.

This is one of my most highly prized treasures - my husband.
I scanned in a photo of him,
printed it out in back & white after tweaking the contrast a little bit
to make the shadows easier to see.

I'll try to remember to post my progress on this drawing as I go.

A very good reference for drawing is this website
There are free videos which are awesome and so very helpful!
This fellow (Darrel Tank) can really draw such realistic drawings!
Check it out.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I am teaching
a drawing class "Whimsical Mark Making"
this summer in Colorado Springs
at a great little art retreat called
If you're looking for mixed media type art classes
or looking for a tribe to hang out with
or would just like to take some fun, no pressure drawing classes,
check me out there.
I'm also teaching a two day mixed media book making class there.

Check my blog for other class listings.

I would love to have you join me!




6 comments:

  1. Carol this is a great drawing of your husband! I find sketching portraits a great challenge, especially the eyes as they are the windows to the soul, but from what I see, you captured the eyes as well as other features very well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful! I totally understand what you're saying about the process, pointing out things that are not quite the way you want them - yet - but to me, you've captured everything brilliantly, including the eyes! It's often hard to explain to someone else what's wrong - like with a bad hair-day ;) - and I get that you need to tweak for yourself, but from what I see, he's already there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this has inspired me to try the same. I love to draw from photos because it makes it much easier to "see" in three dimensions. Lovely lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love this ! I think it is amazing already. My faces look more like cartoon characters. lol !! I know...practice,practice,and practice some more !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait 31 years later and look at this drawing of your husband. You and he will both appreciate it and you will marvel at your young talent and wonder why you were ever so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks greaat! I cannot do real faces, but I will continue to work on it also. But I love the faces that I do draw, so either way, I am happy with that. But I would love to be able to draw right from a photo, but as you say........... practice.

    Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    Enjoy your week. Regards, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.