Thursday, January 20, 2011

Highly Prized: The Ability to Create Art


Leslie here.

I've been thinking a great deal about the January theme and have decided to create several pages, each with a different subject matter related to our theme.  This page has to do with how much I prize the  ability to create art.  
I spent a lot of time obsessing about the format for my sketchbook pages for this project and decided that I will use a combination of page-types, which will please me when finished, all loose so I can add what I want, and the pages will be dated and stored in a canvas-covered square box that I am in the process of embellishing.  I will bind the pages at the end of the project.  I am working with 9-inch square pages.  I love little square books!
This page was created with watercolor paper which was first printed with procionMX dye using a deconstructed screen printing technique.  After the initial print was dry I worked back into the print with more thickened dye extruded through a syringe.  Once the page had time for the dye to react I rinsed it thoroughly to remove the soda ash mordant.  After the second drying, I used Staedtler triplus fineliner pens for writing.  I'm not sure if I'm finished with this page, but I'm happy with it "as is".

13 comments:

  1. Like Leslie, I prize my ability to make things, but I also prize the ability to pass it on to others, especailly kids. I posted on my personal blog about his this morining if you want to check it out. fiberspider.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, probably because it looks so textiley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this Leslie, it's a great combination of textures, imagery and color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent choice, and while your already doing , I'm still pondering.. better get going huh?
    I do small journals, from scratch, but I like this idea at least a bit larger.. more space, more 'stuff' Happy Creatin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the deconstructive screenprinting! I did some for the first time a few months ago and I was hooked! Great journal page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! It is so much fun to use the silk screen for both cloth and paper. I was printing on silk as well as several pieces of watercolor paper while creating the page you see here. I failed to mention that I misted dilute soda ash in water over the paper prior to printing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found it so interesting you obsessed over the format of your pages while I just threw thought to the wind and began.... I posted on my blog my pages so far.

    I love this challenge, I don't really keep journals but I buy them and want to ... So this is the year, This challenge is the catalyst. I will use this challenge to challenge myself. I know in the future I will get more creative with my pages. I look forward to adding stiching and bits of cloth and whatnot.

    Ladies, thank you for the inspiration.

    Cytel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cytel, congratulations on diving in and swimming. Good for you! We can't wait to see where the project takes YOU. Please keep in touch and keep doing pages. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOw that page looks great! I first thought it was a textile piece of art :) (My creative corner) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so enjoying the different examples, and different types of sketchbooks. I finally found time between classes and grading papers and projects to start my own sketchbook. I posted about it here:
    http://mryoungsart.blogspot.com/2011/01/sketchbook-challenge.html
    I will be sketching in the book starting tomorrow, and will post some pics on flicker by Monday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful and totally Leslie. I wish I could touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, never thought of this. Just love it Leslie. It's so full of life!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.