Wednesday, January 5, 2011

highly prized (from laura c-w)

January 4, 2011
This morning, as every morning, I watch the birds. Thinking about "highly prized" and limiting myself to 15 minutes for this page, here it is.
[materials used: pencil, sepia Pitt pens, pigma pens]

Text on the page includes:
"Highly Prized": writers, observers, amateur naturalists, birds and bird song, winter seen from a warm place, Literature: the gift of words - a shared passion one friend to another
and this quote:
"In the morning I have birds,
clearly divine messengers that I don't understand
yet day by day feel the grace of their intentions"

from "at age 69", a poem by Jim Harrison, published in
In Search of Small Gods

This is a more complete image than most of my pages but it is typical in that it includes words, lines, minimal color, minimal consideration to "design", and holds ideas that have been nibbling at me for a while.
The next page will follow thorough on these ideas, unless something else yells for attention .
laura cater-woods janary 5, 2011


  1. I love the idea of limiting yourself to 15 minutes. it is so easy to forget that journals are not meant to be labored over for hours with everything perfect; Just a quick splash of a thought, a plan or a moment inspired by the prompt.

  2. Laura,
    I love the sketch and the quote, both of which are inspiring. Clearly you were taking time to "smell the roses", as we all should do more often.

  3. I am so enjoying seeing other sketch books. How each one is so amazing and there is no right way or wrong way. What is there is you. Thanks for sharing.

  4. a lovely page Laura. I spend time each morning watching the birds at the feeders in my back yard. It makes for a gentle way to ease into the day. I really like that quote, I'll have to go look up that poem.

  5. OMG! My new studio has huge windows on one side - so I hung my feeders right outside the window where I can easily watch and hear my feathered friends. I heart your page! And I also like the idea of giving yourself a time limit... as the semester progresses, I won't have time to go all out. It never dawned on me to give myself permission to tone it down. This might very well prevent me from abandoning the project altogether out of frustration. Thanks!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.