Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Highly Prized Sketches
















Hello everybody! Jill K. Berry here. I have been so busy this month that I have not been sketching every single day, but I have done a couple of pencil drawings of some highly prized folks in my life. The first one is my mom, sitting in her living room watching the Rose Parade. She looked at it and said "who is that old lady?" which I predicted. She looks still very young to me.

The second one is my son, Sam. I drew him using his school picture. This was nice, because I had to really look at his face while he was not moving all over heck and gone, and I had time to see all the shapes and colors of him. It is one of the best things about working like this, is really learning to see things in a deep way. He is beautiful, I knew that, but now I know his face much better and it will be easier to draw him next time. I will keep refining this one, but this is how it looks now.













As soon as my book is finished (Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Map Making due Feb 16th, out in the world Nov 2011) I will have time to share more techniques here, and the first one will be line weight. Until then, keep drawing, and thanks for all the energy and enthusiasm!

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. Can I please hear about your book(s)? I'm new to your group and not in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,that is so nice. I cannot draw real people, but I will continue to work at it. I am new to all of this, but I am enjoying it. I still need to get some of my stuff up so it can be viewed, but I am getting there. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, my suggestion is that instead of thinking of a person, try drawing a face thinking only of shapes and shadows, forget it is a person. That makes it easier.
    Theresa, I added the title of my book to the post. It is about Map Making as a tool of self-discovery, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely drawings. Your portraits are so beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jill,
    I want to cry because your portraits are so fantastic; what a gift to be able to draw what you see and bring it to life with what you feel;like the warmth and love that shows through in the sketch of your son. I am in the sketchbok challenge and no matter what I have sketched and added it to the group--I would really love to win art stuff! Wouldn't we all?!
    You have motivated me to try to draw better-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. meant to say--I do sketch EVERY day and add them to the group's sketches..and it is not easy finding the time..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, how sweet are you? I am a firm believer that practice is all you need, just like playing music. You will be amazed at what you accomplish in this journey, and I recommend dating your drawings so you can impress the heck out of yourself at the end of the challenge.
    And I don't get any of the art stuff, so sad.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill, These are beautiful, and so sensitive! Your new book sounds intriguing. I can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.