Monday, January 31, 2011

"Highly Prized: Women Friends"

Leslie here.  This page is one that I started a couple weeks ago and finally finished the writing.  I think this page is not finished, but since I completed all my writing I thought it would be fun to share.  In the spirit of Dawn Sokol's style, I gently marked some curved lines on the page as guidelines for "filling" in the script.  I wanted to work in a variety of scales to add visual interest, yet "say" what I wanted to  on this page.
As with my writing on textiles, it isn't important to me that the viewer be able to read the writing.  The chances are that, even if I made an effort to write clearly the viewer would not be able to read it!  My writing is, er, a bit difficult to interpret.  Long ago, my mother joked that she enjoyed my letters so much because it took her so long to read them!
I'm using Pitt pens, Sakura pens, and Staedtler pens for this page.
detail

This page is a love-letter to my women friends.  Since I am the last person remaining in my family-of-origin, I now get to "acquire" my extended family.  I think we can all choose to do this, but it has taken on more meaning for me in the last 8 years.  I think most of us realize just how precious these special friendships are.  As my own daughters grow up I find that they, too, love my women friends.  I know that my friends are there for me through thick and thin.  I feel the same way about them.  I am a very fortunate woman.  That is the essence of this page.


7 comments:

  1. I love all of the different way that you used the text to create shapes, which makes it so intriguing. Just the way you explained it, can't really read what you wrote, but I know the sentiment and heart felt meaning is there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how you've represented what you want to say on this page Leslie. It's intriguing and engaging with air of mystery to it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet and an awesome way to celebrate acquired family. I am in that same boat so totally get it. Fun with words... I love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends are certainly important. I am glad you have been able to acquire an extended family. I enjoyed seeing how you laid this page out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful page and beautiful sentiment, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute. What a lovely thought. A great prompt for many of us who are learning to spread our wings and fly with our muses. Thanks so much for sharing such an intimate piece of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.