"Highly Prized: Family, Home, & Friends"
Leslie here. I love the combination of techniques and layers with water-based media. The background page was created by brushing water onto the paper, then a watered-down wash of acrylic ink. After the ink was applied I tipped the page to allow the fluid to spread, then I used the handle of my brush to write into the wet media. The ink (watercolor will do this too) migrates to the writing, thereby creating a pale, ghost-like script. I allowed this to dry slightly, but the paper still felt damp to the touch. I applied a second wash, this time with a slightly darker ink but still using a very diluted wash. I used the base of a plastic pen to push the wet media around. Interestingly, this seemed to displace the ink rather than attract it! Go figure. Third, after allowing the first two processes to dry I pulled some white acrylic ink into a curved dental syringe and wrote more script over the top and from a different perspective. This was, admittedly, pretty messy and it took a while to dry. There was enough beading up of the script that I didn't dare use a blow dryer or heat gun for fear of moving the media on the page. Good thing I was working on some screen printing to distract me! Finally, I worked back into the writing with a darker blue fine-tip marker. I did this because I knew I would have a darker blue image in the foreground and I thought a bit of darker script would marry the two pieces.
The paper in the foreground is the same type of 200 lb hot press watercolor paper. I used the first thing I grabbed, and in retrospect I wish I had varied the texture of the papers. Oh well. I've been working on some new thermofax screens and like to test them on both cloth and paper. This is actually 2 separate screens. The nest was printed first and allowed to dry. The bird image was screened with white and blue paint simultaneously. After drying the prints I did more washes and writing into wet at the top of this paper, but with much more dilute pigment. Finally, I used the syringe and dripped white acrylic ink from the top of the paper. The papers are glued together.