Friday, January 7, 2011

Life Needs Seasoning...Just Add ART

Kelli here. I was inspired to use salt as my highly prized thing because rather than a direct prize itself, it's a prize enhancer. There are many things in life that help us appreciate the other things we have all the more. I was listening to NPR and a fabulous show on salt and how it brings out the flavor in so many foods. Did you know that there are even books on salt? That's the librarian in me. Salt's a deep subject. I'm just sayin!

Some of us have mentioned that we keep a variety of sketchbooks with different purposes. I have an idea sketchbook, but for this challenge I've decided to work through a book of completed pieces. I admire how Laura and others begin with a small sketch and repeat it, adding ideas as they go and finishing by creating a more formal work. I am too impatient to work that way, so instead I create one piece and keep working through it until I'm satisfied. We all have completely different ways of working and yours is just as valid.

You're seeing the final page. Next theme I'll take photos as I go so you can see how a page progresses for me.

This sketchbook page began as a quick pencil sketch, followed by a good drubbing with permanent ink. I always work in waterproof ink because I know I want to add wet media later. I used my Rapidograph pen by Koh-I-Noor filled with india ink, and my new Lamy Safari pen filled with Noodlers Bulletproof Ink to create the sketch. Then I headed to the sewing machine to outline it with black thread. Yes, I DID put the entire sketchbook under the machine. It's what I do! I may decide to create separate watercolor pages in the future and stitch them into the sketchbook like a saner person.

I added ripped collage bits from old books and then pretty, saturated watercolors. I used both Dr. Ph. Martin's Radiant Liquid Watercolors and a set of Grumbacher Deluxe Opaque Watercolors which travel very nicely. Now back to my idea book to quick get down some sparks before they go out.

23 comments:

  1. Fun page! I'm curious about your use of waterproof black ink AND black stitching around your drawings on paper. Do you always combine both techniques?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great page Kelli. I think I am going to have to try adding stitch to the next page I do. I like the way it adds a nice textural element to your page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do free motion quilting already on quilts, so the stitching on paper appeals to me very much. Are you using a spiral ring journal, cause I can't imagine how you'd get the paper under the machine otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli, your art speaks to me on so many levels. If I could take everything out of my head, through the intimidation and onto the page it would look just like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the techniques you used on this one page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - I recently saw an amazing website where they sell the most incredible salts. I never knew there were so many kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salt. Yum! I got hooked on exquisite salts while in Quebec. Our B&B host would have a different kind each breakfast and he'd put a pinch in his hand and have us try it!

    Yes, I always outline with pen and then stitch over that line with black thread. I love the look, both on fabric and paper (PLUS fabric/paper!) I am using a Strathmore ring bound journal. It was a little persnickety to do it that way but I must have my stitch! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an inspiration to me. I love your work, and need to get back to your book! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The subject of seasoning and those intense color combinations suit each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelli, you pages speak to me!!! I adore everything about your colorful approach and whimsey, pure FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Kelli. So bright and fun. Loved your take on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this page. It is so vibrant and colourful. It really speaks to my creative soul

    I am really enjoying the challenge of drawing in my sketchbook each day and looking at others wonderful posts.

    To see mine go to
    http://catherineparkinson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful to hear all about the inks. I am working on faces. I want to get good at eyes and lips. Great job.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is so full of life and joy. It just makes me smile when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelli, I love the saturated color you use in your work! I'd appreciate it if you'd do a post where you talk about color... what you are thinking about when you decide on colors, and how you blend them on your page.

    Thanks for telling me about your pens. I am going shopping! :-)

    Also, next time, I'd love to see some close-up, detail shots so I could see your stitching better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love your colors and fun style...well, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so interesting!
    I love the concept and idea behind the challenge.
    Maybe I'll join?!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very fun - I love salt in my food and for salt-printing on water-washed fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice painting ! and I agree salt is a highly prized item! Thanks for sharing-

    ReplyDelete
  20. The illustration is beauiful and I am definitely am loving the color saturation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need to get me some of those watercolors...I love the brightness of each color. The Kelli Perkins Look!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your bright colorful pages.Thank you for sharing the tools you use; sewing machine too! Holy Cow!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.