Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Design Process by Jamie Fingal

A sneak peek into my yearly journal of work.  All of my brainstorming is on the left, sources of inspiration, drawings for ideas - especially in working with a theme, for The Alliance for American Quilt contest.  My inspiration was a photograph of my friend Leslie Jenison and myself at Festival in Long Beach with pool floats on our heads (we like to have fun wherever we travel). 
The theme is "Alliances:  People, Patterns, Passion" and the quilt is 16" square. I actually thought about doing a photo transfer of us with the pool floats on our heads, but changed to creating my own work of art with commercial cottons and Batiks (patterns) with she and I as the main subject (people) and our desire to stay in touch via "coffee breaks" via e-mail (passion). You can click on the photograph to make it larger.  Dedicated to women friends, which are Highly Prized! A full size picture of the art quilt and detail shots are on my Twisted Sister blog.

12 comments:

  1. My First Sketch for this challenge was highly prizing Women Friends--so I'm with you!!! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy seeing the process. That is a great quilt and great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the detail in your drawings of u and your friend..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I have a sketchbook in me somewhere because I drool over the ones others make. This one is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the page. Thanks for sharing and what better way to express the meaning of the first months challenge, but with friends. I love it! Regards, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you added all the doodles with the note taking. It makes for such a fun workbook page that will be a joy to look at again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love getting a sneak peek into the process Jamie, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful sketchbook...and your quilt is stunning! i LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely! Jamie, your are not only incredibly well organized, and talented, but your handwriting is darn perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I adore this little quilt. I love your writings on the left page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your kind comments. I really do appreciate it. I had wonderful inspiration for this, my good friend Leslie - highly prized.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you brainstorm ideas on one page and then sketch on the other. A great way to collect your ideas visually and in the written word. Lovely

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.