Sunday, January 2, 2011

My first not perfect pages

Remember in this post when I said "It's not about creating perfect pages, it's about having fun and enjoying the process"  well here's proof:

I drink a lot of coffee so the first thing on my highly prized list is that all important first cup that I start each day with...

I did this quick sketch yesterday while having, yup you guessed it, my first cup of coffee.  A quick scribble of some coffee cups with my new favorite Micron pen and then painted quickly with watercolors. 

 Is it perfect? No  
Did I have fun doing it?  YES!

Last night while watching TV I worked on this sketch:

Also on my list of highly prized is my very awesome hubby's skill with tools and his ability to design and build just about anything I ask him to!  Case in point: my new studio addition.  So I grabbed a few tools from the garage and put them on the table and did some pencil sketching.


 Is it perfect? No  
Did I have fun doing it?  YES! 
 
I know that as I go through this year and spend time practicing that my drawing skills will get better.  I'll also get more comfortable with the tools and materials that I'm working with which will help me figure out which ones I like and which ones work best for me.  In the meantime I'm going to just enjoy the process of learning a new skill and have fun with it.


11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Sue. I'm with you on the coffee. Not sure I'm confident enough to join in yet but already I can see the challenge will be a great learning source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me happy. I used to draw/sketch everyday when I was younger (30 yrs ago) and haven't done much since having children, working, etc etc, so I like the inspiration of having fun drawing again and not being "perfect" What is perfect, anyway? I just need to do it. I love your coffee beans and the way you drew the lines swirling through the page and through the cups. Today I will sketch. (Yesterday I bought a new sketchbook, some pencils, & an eraser). Here I go! Thank you for sharing this. Wish we could sip coffee and draw together...but I'd still be in my jammies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that you drew your coffee mug! I was thinking when I got up today that I ought to sketch mine - it is one of MY most highly prized possessions, and I drink a lot from it. But only coffee; I have a whole 'nother one for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that post, Sue, it is exactly what I needed to hear today! I hated the sketch I drew yesterday and was thinking I'd give up, but then decided to try paint something with watercolours instead. The final result was also not perfect but I liked it much better, and yes, I did have fun! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sit in front of the television and doodle. Drives my husband crazy that I can do such and still keep up with the program. hahaha! I'm still working on my entry. Should be done before the end of the month. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started yesterday....blindly.....making the little (and I do mean LITTLE!) book. Today it went on blog:

    http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2011/01/sketchbook-challenge-class-art-2011-or.html

    This afternoon or evening, I will be sorting thoughts and supplies. I anticipate more accomplished when I have DH back to work... ;D
    Thanks for posting "Is it perfect?"
    We all relate......

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG....that is the first thing I thought of when I saw the theme this month is "Highly Prized"...my husband's hands and tools because this is how he has supported us for 25 years and is also building our house...for the past 20 years!;) I am in awe of his talents....a bit jealous too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your drawing and I love this theme. This theme is very thought provoking which I am enjoying! I find that as I doodle I feel like I'm playing...and thank you for showing "not perfect" sketches! Gives me courage! In fact, I think I'll draw some cups like yours just because it looks like a LOT of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Agree with Susan!! WHat I really need when it comes to drawing is C-C-C-ourage!!!! Seeing not perfect sketches is a big relief!! I did some sketches and I am going to post them on Flikr!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your work Sue!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. and thank you Elizabeth and everyone else for sharing yours!

    And thanks to all of you for your very kind comments - I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I can relax a bit - I was concerned about my sketching - as long as I sketch is more important than it being a "good" sketch. Whew!! Courage - thanks Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.