Saturday, January 29, 2011

Painting with...ooops! A tutorial.


Melly here.

Thus continues the journey where I paint, talk and you follow along. I do hope you learn from this. I speak softly in this video, so you might need to turn your computer's volume up. I apologize for this.

Imagine I am holding my finger to my nose while I read this post to you. I must look quite silly, I wouldn't know, I am not looking at me, you are. I am doing this because?

For the last 6 to 8 months I have thought I was using gouache, when I am really using watercolor.  I swear to you, my local Dick Blick used to sell both the M. Graham gouache and the M. Graham watercolor. Now they only sell the watercolor because gouache is, sadly, an underdog. Even still, I swear to you, they put the watercolor in the display labeled gouache. I bought an entire palette, and have been using them ever since.

All confusion aside. I love M. Graham watercolor,  I mean lurve it! M. Graham paints are pigment rich, buttery and scrumptious. Just sayin'.

I am happy to say, I have just bought a full palette of gouache, which I learned from reading Roz Stendahl's blog, rewets beautifully. Most gouache does not and it is for this reason that it is sold in tubes and not pans or half pans.


  1. I absolutely LOVED watching you paint. I'm so new to all of this painting that I'm still trying to understand how to use watercolors and now gouache. I was so glad that you pronounced the word as I had no clue as to how it sounds! I'm hoping to find the previous video. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm looking forward to learning more!

  2. I also wanted to thank you for the tips you shared as you painted. I learned so much just watching you!

  3. What is the name of the bird you are painting?
    Is it a tufted titmouse?
    I love the color of the belly.
    Thanks for showing us.
    Mary Ann

  4. This is a red breasted nuthatch, titmice have tufts and are a bit more sleek and thin than this bird.

  5. Wonderful tutorial! I too love to watch you paint.

  6. I felt like I was standing over your shoulder watching and it was so helpful. I know your nuthatch will be absolutely beautiful. I'm also glad to hear you say "gouache" because I was not saying it correctly in my head. lol Can't wait to see what is next.

  7. Thanks for this, Mel...I'm enjoying the tutorial very much.

  8. Oh my, lol. I also love M. Graham's and I believe they have honey in them if I'm not mistaken. That was when I knew I had to have them. They are delicious in all senses of the word! Beautiful work as always!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.