Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This Is How I Use My Sketchbook

Hi, everyone, Judi, here! I hope you're all enjoying the Challenge and posting all your photos to our Flickr page!

While this isn't directly related to the theme, "highly prized", I'm using my sketchbooks quite heavily these days, working through my ideas for where I want to take my stacked journaling design idea.


The page above was created with Fineline markers and stacked journaling- the word green, to be exact, which is what created the loopy bits to the outsides of the leaves and the great texture in both the leaves and the stem. So far I haven't found any design that I haven't been able to enhance with some form of stacked journaling.
Here, stacked journaling was screened onto a previously painted sketchbook page using a Thermofax screen and black textile paint. 


Stacked journaling was used here to create shapes on fabric which was then mounted into my sketchbook with fluid matte medium and "coffee stained" with fluid acrylic paint.

Creating contrast against a brightly painted background....


More screening of stacked journaling, adding depth to a previously sketched, screened, and painted page...


Stacked journaling on top of the existing text and Notan-like design of an old, yellowed telephone book page, cut and mounted into my sketchbook....


As you can see, I use my sketchbooks to do more than sketch. They are the incubator of ideas which will grow and develop organically, as I work each page in my own particular way.

Please don't be afraid to test yourselves, to put pencil to paper and make marks that are uniquely your own. It may seem hard at first, and scary, but I promise you that those first exploratory marks, when viewed over time, can not only improve your design and sketching skills, they can also become very dear to your heart.

22 comments:

  1. Judi, these are really inspiring. I have a hard time using line, as opposed to shape/color/wash/atmosphere, and this is an inspiration. The whole drawing/sketching thing is such a great challenge. THANKS for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi, thanks for sharing this with us. It is really interesting. I am unfamiliar with the tem stacked journaling. Can one of your future posts be a tutorial on how to do this? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please do more on stacked journaling. I had never heard that term before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also curious as to what you mean by stacked journaling, please explain or point us to a link that will go into more detail about what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. layering-layer upon layer; always gives great depth and it is inspiring to see your process. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi,
    Your post really showed me the "possibilities" of not only how to do the stacked journaling but ways of using a sketch book that is beyond the usual sketching. Great post.
    Judy 2
    P.S. Of all the SketchBook Challenge posts (which have been interesting) yours is the first one I was inspired enough to respond too. I'm a new fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank goodness! i'm not the only person who's never heard the term before...
    could you a definition on the post??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used that technique but just for texture -- love where you took it. The fact that it actually looks like art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard the term before either, but I think I've done it....layers of journaling? Sometimes when I'm done, only I would have a clue about what is written (which is sometimes why I do it). I love how you have used this to add texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful work! Love all the texture in the pages. i've never heard of stacked journalling either. Interesting thought.........

    Htpp://catherineparkinson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please explain more, is it stack writing?(text)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am with the majority. I have never heard the term before. I can just guess at what it is but I am going to look on Google for some info. Thanks for sharing.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's Judi's post on stacked journaling, with instructions! http://sketchbookchallenge.blogspot.com/2010/12/stacked-journaling.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to have delayed responding to everyone, I left my desk for the afternoon and totally forgot it was my day to post! :D

    Ok, Stacked Journaling... it's something I conceived of over my Christmas vacation while working through some texture exercises in my sketchbook. I prefer not to give a detailed explanation of the technique for a couple of reasons. First, I want a chance to work through it at my own pace, letting it grow organically... it won't be worth anything to anyone if it isn't allowed to flourish on its own.

    The second reason is that the technique is evolving daily and I have no idea where it will wind up- that makes a tutorial doubly difficult because I still haven't found the parameters of the technique, which would make trying to explain them to all of you nearly impossible at this stage! :D

    Perhaps there'll be a QA or a CPS article in it one day. In the meantime, please understand that I'm not trying to hold back something because I don't want all of you to have it. I simply want to explore it to its natural conclusion, first. I hope everyone understands, and I thank you so much for the interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sketching part of the journal challenge is kinda intimidating but I can see doodling, scribbling, stacking, finding my own kind of mark is what I want to FIND this year in the challenge. Thanks Judi. Somebody's loss is always somebody's gain! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great does your stacked journaling look!! I love this, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, Great- Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous!!as I am constantly making lines and "things" in my sketch books and my DH just asked me the other day "why do I deface my drawings/paintings"...:) I had to laugh of course but as I saw this post I RAN and grabbed him and made him read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your term "stacked journaling". I love to overlay script but mine never looks this good! LOL.
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are fabulous! I love your stacked journaling technique- the line graphic in the contrasting color really pumps up the page!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really starting to dig on the stacked journaling idea. Definitely will be trying soon with my granddaughter who is loving Diana Trout's Doodle game. I know she'll go for this too! (She's 7 and addicted to art!! Yay for me!!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have you tried to do this with thread? I think the results would be beautiful?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.