Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Exploring opposites in black & white

I've spent a good part of February so far getting moved into my new studio and so I haven't had much time (or energy) left at the end of each day for sketching.  Now I don't know about you, but after more than a week of not being able to do anything creative I start to get a bit cranky so I decided to ignore the boxes that needed unpacking yesterday and get in some creative time.   The first thing I thought of when I saw this months "opposite" theme was postive/negative and black/white which then led to thinking about Notan so I grabbed a big sketchpad, a stack of black paper, a glue stick and an exacto knife and got down to it...


and once I got started I couldn't stop!





Here are some great resources for information about Notan:

How to create Notan Paper Art

Notan: design in light and dark by Sharon Himes

Expansion of the Square by Jane Dunnewold

Notan: the dark-light principle of design book

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Wonderful opposites! I hadn't heard about notan before, so thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat! I like the flowers best! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making notan! In fact, this was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the February theme. These are lovely. They would make great thermofax screens, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what they said!
    There are so many ways to approach "opposites". Notan is direct, immediate and focuses on good design.

    Thanks to everyone for the great response to the theme and my post! I can't wait to see what y'all do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what they said!
    There are so many ways to approach "opposites". Notan is direct, immediate and focuses on good design.

    Thanks to everyone for the great response to the theme and my post! I can't wait to see what y'all do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very kool Sue!! Now I just need a wee bit of time!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New word, new technique. Notan is new to me. I am tickled to learn this. I like it. Saw some on Flickr. Guess that will be my next challenge, for sure.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so appreciate this post. I've never heart the term Notan before. I can think of many ways to use this in the Life Altering Conditions Support/Workshop group I'm facilitating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH THANK YOU! These are absolutely glorious. I have a couple of the Notan books but haven't explored them because...well...I tend to do realistic stuff.

    This month's theme has given me absolute fits. I was running out of ideas on how to show opposites...and have been reluctant to post any of them... Sigh. At least this now gives me some other ideas and maybe I'll explore them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie: I had that exact same though and just ordered an exposure kit so I can burn some new screens.

    Laura: I am really loving this theme you chose!

    10 minutes Elizabeth that's all you need :)

    Peggy & Michigoose: go for it!

    Judith: glad you found some inspiration for your group.

    Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. perfect! Some friends and I did some notans recently and they are so fun and a perfect example of the opposites theme! wonderful fun.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.