Friday, February 18, 2011

It's Not That KIND of Sketchbook

Kelli here (I've got to be somewhere!). Sometimes the arguments in my head get out of control and I have to set things straight. When it comes to sketchbooks, there are so many KINDS going at any one time that they compete for my attention. Because I find great comfort in organization, I do tend to keep them a little segregated--it's just my way. So when I'm going all out in one sketchbook; drawing detailed images, collaging and painting, and my other sketchbooks get jealous, I just have to tell them that they're not that KIND of sketchbook. Do you feel answerable to your artwork too? So just what KINDS of sketchbooks are they? Here's a glimpse into one specific kind of art journal I keep. I think of it as an *idea book.* These are so valuable to me because I go back to them when I'm ready to pick up an idea and run with it. I can't show you too much because they are filled with the crazy, personal ideas that resonate with me. Things I must do when the time is right. The ideas that excite me to the core. I capture them whenever I find them lurking and begin to push them around to see where they might go.

The drawings often begin with a question. In this case it was "what would happen if I mummified a journal, a doll, a cat and other things?" And "what would their wrappings say about them?" This is an idea I've worked on a little bit, but there is much to explore in the future as I try to bring these creations into the physical world. 

And then there is the ever important question that occurred to me one day out of the blue..."what if kittens were cupcakes?" This is intermixed with notes to myself  (create an accomplishment log), thoughts about an art project and some cute moths I saw somewhere. The moths are someone else's design, but I may incorporate parts of the concept into something I invent in the future.
Finally...happy clouds. "What is a happy cloud and what would be on a happy cloud?" I'm really into clouds right now and I'm working on a number of pieces that incorporate them. This is the first place I began wondering about happy clouds and their suitability to mini quilts. This idea will be with me for awhile, as I'm enchanted with it. Dear sketchbook; you are an idea book and although your images are not as grand as those in some of the other sketchbooks, you are very important to me and I love you. Thank you for being so adaptable. You're MY KIND of sketchbook!

18 comments:

  1. Amazing! What a total inspiration you are Kelli - I love how you think. My brain doesn't think like this but I do so admire people who can. It would be a great exercise to stretch myself in this way though. Just need a spark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to hear you say, since your work is so inspiring to me. I always wonder what everything would look like with a zipper or metal studs on it! Who puts zippers on an apron and a bear? You do! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kelli!!! You are so much FUN! Thank you and your sketchbooks for sharing. Love this idea. And your drawings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great inspiration! Such cool thought processes and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Great post, Kelli. Jealous sketchbooks, indeed. I love your whimsy-filled drawings and your free-wheeling mind. And yet ... you are organized?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelli - your work always, Always, ALWAYS, makes me smile. Now - what if frogs - and - scissors!? And maybe cupcakes thrown in for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the humour in all of your designs:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so interesting! I have jealous sketchbooks too..the whisper my name when I spend too much time with another sketchbook. If I told the subjects of each I'd probably end up writing a book here, so I think I'll do a blog post on it tonight.

    I adore your "what if" drawings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frogs and scissors? Hmmmmm...I do have a big folder of images of scissors I turned into Spoonflower fabric. That's another one of those iconic symbols of home and good things (like mending). I found this rad pair of red handled child's scissors at an antique mall. But frogs is all wrong Lyric. Let's see what the secret subjects of pedalpower's sketchbooks are and maybe get some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your mind works in mysterious wonderful ways!!! keep it comin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun !! I love the way you think ! All this time I have been affraid to admit my journals call my name and get jealous !! Wheww !! I feel much better and I have a grin on my face from your drawings !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic Post Kelli! So permissive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way your brain thinks Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelli - I think that we were sisters or best friends in another life cause I really, really like your ideas, your sketches...your work. I often wonder odd little things like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh kelli, you crack me up. I love (and slightly fear) the way your mind works. and I totally love the way you draw.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore it when you share bits of your process!! I adore your sketchs and so want to have time to do similar sorts of stuffwith my overfull mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what fun to see, details!!!
    I am so enjoying all your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What if my sketchbook was jealous of yours, and had a pair of scissors? What if my cat was eating your cupcakes and the sketchbook saw that happen from the top of the happy cloud. Would the cloud still be happy?

    My jealous sketchbook is on a grey, heavy cloud making plans.....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.