Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Sketch-In!

What's a sketch-in?  It's a event where you gather with others and work in your sketchbook to the current sketchbook challenge theme!  I held one last week in my studio with my friends Kathy, Kathleen, Sue P and Sue F (no website for Sue F yet - and no that's not a typo, there's really 5 of us sharing only two names) and we had so much fun...


We spread out on my work table and got to work.  We were all supposed to bring something related to opposites to sketch and I brought Apples and Oranges which you can see in the middle of the table.

Kathleen did this sketch using water soluble crayons:


Sue F decided to do a sketch using opposite line styles - straight and curved and then added some color with colored pencils:

I used the same concept of opposing line styles on page in my sketchbook that had already had color on it:

Sue P found something in one of my sketchbooks to inspire a page in her own which I thought was pretty cool:

I didn't get a photo of Kathy's apples and oranges sketch but I did get one of her working in charcoal sketching one of the coffee mugs on the table:

Attending a sketch-in is a lot of fun and a great way to get motivated to work in your sketchbook.  I had so much fun at this one I talked to fellow sketchbook challenge artist Jane Davies about it and we decided that we should do one together and invite you all to join us, so...

Join sketchbook challenge artists Sue Bleiweiss and Jane Davies at a sketch-in!  What's a sketch-in?  It's a place you can go where everybody is sketching to the current sketchbook challenge theme.  Ink About It in Westford Ma is hosting a sketch-in on Sunday April 17, 2011 from  10:00 - 4:00.  We'll kick off the sketch-in with some fun and easy drawing exercises to get everyone loosened up and then get to sketching, drawing and collaging in our sketchbooks to the April theme.   Bring your pencils, pens, watercolors, crayons, scissors,  glue and sketchbooks and be prepared to have a lot of fun!  We’ll also be doing a simple book making exercise and introducing you to some of our favorite sketching, drawing and painting techniques.  We'll have lots of different mark making tools for you to play and experiment with so don't worry if all you have to bring with you is a pad of paper and a pencil.  No previous sketching, drawing, bookmaking or collaging experience necessary to take this workshop.  All you need is a sense of adventure and a willingness to have some fun!  workshop fee is $60 and space is limited so to reserve your seat call Ink About It at 978-392-0321 to register.

11 comments:

  1. That is so cool, I love the fact that you guys can get together and draw. I think that would help me to come up things to draw. I am really having a hard time with this months theme. Thanks for sharing. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun....I mostly have to work on my own (because there is really no-one else close by), which suits me, but sometimes it's just FUN to get together in a group and bounce off each other!
    Love Kathleen's fruit sketch with great use of complementary colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. I can't wait to sigh up at Ink About It for the Sketch In. It is so much more inspirational when I am working with a group.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower. Just found your blog! I'm also hosting an introduction to your blog, journaling, and challenge over Dunkins' coffee.
    Thanks. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing you at the sketch-in Karen!

    Kayshine I hope you'll post some photos of your sketch-in too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy I found the easiest way to approach this months theme is not to think too hard about it! Instead of trying to think of two opposite things to draw just pick one and then think of it's opposite. For instance look at your work table - is there a pencil there - draw that and then add a pen. Are there watercolors there? draw those and then some acrylics. etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great, Sue! Thanks for posting the photos of your recent sketch-in at your studio. The studio looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a ridiculous amount of creative inspiration. Thanks for documenting it! I'm going to be starting a sketching/art journaling group at my local library. Spread the art love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun. Wish I lived close enough to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just posted some apples and oranges drawings from my sketchbook on my blog (using complementary colours).
    http://artbeachlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just posted my February Theme sketches on my blog.

    http://karensketchbook.blogspot.com/2011/02/sketchbook-challenge.html

    I gave my readers the information about the Sketchbook challenge as well.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.