Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sketching & Watercolor: Journal Style

Jane LaFazio here. I teach kids to draw, just like I teach adults in my "Sketching & Watercolor: Journal Style" classes.

I want them to draw from real life objects (not photos.) I encourage them to really look and draw what they see. First to draw in pencil, then redraw and refine again in pen, then add watercolor.

It's about the experience of being in the moment and really slowing down and focusing.


And keeping a visual record of your life.

These kids are all in the 4th & 5th grade and part of my Mundo Lindo ~ Beautiful World afterschool art program. It's free to the kids. We do all kinds of art. It's one of the things I'm most proud of.

12 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have loved teaching my children to play with watercolor and sketching. One of the most fulfilling things I ever did was teach art at our homeschool group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like u have some budding artists! i am impressed...love that barn, a lot of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be proud! That is a wonderful activity and treat for the kids. Thank you for making a difference in their world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like everyone had a great time, including the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat Jane. I'm sure they love your classes. Thanks for sharing the pix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. inspirational....and thanks for that too the whole real vs photo is a challenge but the best one :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, your students are doing beautiful work - and you are teaching them a skill they will actually use forever! Unlike algebra...heh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful program! Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with our kids. I have a fourth grade artist - they are wonderful at that age aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you should be, the results look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I enjoy using watercolor most of all, and I have a *long* way to go. Your students are inspiring, such great ideas in their paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great, enriching experience for those kids. I wish I liked working with kids, but I don't - well, not unless their regular teacher is there. Slowing down and really looking / being in the moment - that has GOT to be the most valuable skill any of us can learn.

    ReplyDelete