Thursday, February 3, 2011

Special Guest Sketchbook Profile: Pam Carriker

Pam Carriker is the author of Art at the Speed of Life: Motivation and Inspiration for Making Mixed-Media Art Every Day.

It is both my personal goal, and my artistic goal, to have my life and art reflect my true self. To convey the importance of the things in my life that matter most to me. I strive to bring the highest quality of workmanship and materials to my artistic endeavors. These things bring me inner peace and personal satisfaction.  Read more...




Why do you keep a sketchbook and how often do you work in it?
I keep a sketchbook as a way to stay creative on a daily basis and work in it every day. Often times the writing/business side of art keeps me from actually creating so I work in my sketchbook as my way to to compensate for not always being able to pick up a paintbrush.

Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?
I have many different types of journals going at one time. This allows me to always be able to do some type of art no matter how hectic the day may be.

What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet,spiral bound etc?) and preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?
I like larger journals- my favorites art the Strathmore Visual Journal 9x12 140lb watercolor and a 5 1/2 x 8 Moleskine sketchbook. I use acrylic paints, papers, and pencil and pens in the strathmore and stick to conte crayon, pencil and Faber Castell Pitt Brush tipped artist pens in the moleskine journal.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to keep a sketchbook but doesn't know how to begin?
Just start. Don't overly worry about what comes out onto the page, it's all good. Journals are the perfect place to document/see your growth as an artist. If you truly hate a page then add some paint and continue to layer until you do like it. I often sketch in pen to force myself to not erase and be bold. Challenge yourself by setting a timer, or limiting supplies or colors. Use your journal a safe place to experiment.

Anything else you'd like to add?
The biggest thing is just to start. Journaling is addictive if you give it a chance. You may need to force yourself to make time initially but as you continue on in your journey it becomes a passion, a tool, a document of you as an artist.


Visit Pam's website here to see more of her work

Learn more about the sketchbook challenge here

4 comments:

  1. Great interview!! I love working on journals and sketch books.... I really like ripping out the pages That turn out extra special and incorporating them into a canvas picture!!
    It takes the presure off what to do with a big canvas!! Love YOU Pam!!
    Thanks for always sharing!!
    Getting your book in the mail today!! YEAH!!!

    Vanessa
    RhinestoneContessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I agree, just start a journal and the great thing is it really doesn't matter what's in it or how completed each page is...you can always go back and finish up what you started even something you started years ago! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us! I love the idea of being bold and sketching in pen. After all it's only paper and pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Sue and I enjoyed your responses, Pam! I agree that the hardest part is always taking those first steps, it does get easier from there!

    Pam hosted the first workshop for the Strathmore Online Workshop Series. It was great and one of my favorite type of workshops, free ;) Thanks again, Pam!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.