Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Citra Solv Backgrounds

Kelli here. I was so intrigued by Diana Trout's video on using Citra Solv with old National Geographic magazines that I was sitting on my hands until I could get some. There are tons of these old mags around. If your library has a used bookstore, check there. I tried this with a couple of other magazines and it doesn't work in the same way. The added bonus is that my work table has never looked so clean (and it smells citrusy fresh)! I'm definitely hooked on Citra Solv and soon I'll try some of the other experiments, like image transfer onto fabric. The Citra Solv folks have embraced artists and have a whole section of their site devoted to delightful things you can do with this product. How fun is that? I couldn't wait to share a few of the beautiful pages that came from my first experiment with a single issue of NG. I've photographed them and now can use them for all sorts of digital graphics. I'll probably print them out on fabric! More to come.


9 comments:

  1. Oh so cool! You got some great effects. I'm itchin' to get back and do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, great idea to digitize them. Never thought of that. And I had folks asking what years issues worked best. What year was yours from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelli; these are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you do with them. I hadn't thought of scanning them; mine might work better if blown up size-wise; altering the color and cropping, all that, might lead to some interesting papers or at least inspiration. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a 2010! I'll be getting them on fabric this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is another technique you can do with Citra-Solv:

    http://photothreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I have about a billion NGs and love the effect. Be sure we get to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judith--your quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that link. I certainly do intend to try some direct transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I paid $5 for a big box of NG's for this purpose when CPS ran the instructions in the Jan-Feb 2010 issue. It was too heavy to get out of my trunk. Then I lost the mag. I had all my friends hunting for it and finally bought another. Then I wrecked the car. Finally the mags are in the house, rescued from said car and I have the mag, but the diluted version of Citra-Solv. Is this project doomed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi kelli - WHEW! loving those colors! Thinking mine are alot darker due to age of mag(68)

    ...off to play!!
    - vicki xo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.