Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Special Guest Sketchbook Participant Profile: Cheryl Gebhart



Meet Sketchbook Challenge participant Cheryl Gebhart...

It's taken me quite a few years to actually refer to myself as an artist, but that's what I finally realized I am. My media of choice include fabric, paper, watercolors, camera, and computer.


How has the sketchbook challenge influenced your sketchbook keeping practice?

The sketchbook challenge is helping me to use my sketchbook more by giving me more ideas to put into my sketchbook. 

Tell me how you're approaching each challenge - do you jump right in and start sketching as soon as the new challenge word is posted or do you reflect on it first?

I reflect on it first, which is the way I do most of my creating. I don't come up with ideas quickly, but given enough time, I can usually come up with something. 

Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?

I do most of my work in one sketchbook, but I have a few others that I work with some. My goal is to make my sketchbook an everything book - for sketching and notes and reminders, etc. I'm not there yet, and I don't know whether I ever will be totally, but I'm working in that direction. 


  


What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet,spiral bound etc?) and have you found your preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?

My preferred medium at this point is watercolor and pen, but that is always subject to change. I used watercolor pencils when I first started. I haven't been doing this long enough to know yet what sketchbook format is best for me - I'm still experimenting with that. I prefer using cold press watercolor paper, maybe because it's what I've used the most. I bind my own sketchbooks, and I've done a variety of types. I like spiral bound (or o-wire) for the fact that I can open a book and turn the pages back on themselves, but sometimes the spiral gets in the way. I'm getting ready to bind a new book, and I haven't decided on the structure yet. A good friend gave me Making Handmade Books - 100+ Bindings Structures & Forms for Christmas, so I'll be making something from it. The page sizes I've liked best have been 5 1/2" X 7 1/2" and 6 1/2" square. 

Anything else you'd like to add?

I take a lot of online classes, so many of my sketchbook pages (or journal pages, as I've been calling them) are from my classes. I really enjoy learning new things, getting ideas, and interacting with classmates. It's a fun journey!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Cheryl! I recognize those lesson 2 leaves from the online class you took with me. http://www.joggles.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_759&products_id=21290

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another LaFazio classmate here...I'm enjoying your book reviews as well as the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl--oh those are so wonderful! I can tell that you have the heart of a sketcher and that you've put in a lot of time into perfecting your drawing. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good interview Cheryl. Nice leaf page and hmmm, I recognize some of the others, lol. I was happily surprised to see your name as a special guest!

    ReplyDelete