Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Special Guest Sketchbook Profile: Robin Walsh

From time to time on the Sketchbook blog we're going to be talking with some of our sketchbook challenge participants who have posted photos of their challenge sketches to the flickr group.

Meet Sketchbook Challenge participant
Robin Walsh...

I am an aging (sigh) mixed media & fiber artist, designing here in my pink house in sunny southwest Florida. I create an eclectic mix of things that tickle my fancy! Fiber seems to be my common denominator, but I occasionally wander into different mediums. 


How has the sketchbook challenge influenced your sketchbook keeping practice?

I never kept a ‘sketchbook’ before the challenge. I have always had notes, lists and scribbles just lying around. I make art journals, but I never actually use them!


I made a special journal in anticipation of the Sketchbook Challenge and did the first one or two drawings in it. I found that I HATE working in a bound format! So now I just sketch on single pages that I’ll bind into a journal when I’ve collected enough.



Tell me how you're approaching each challenge - do you jump right in and start sketching as soon as the new challenge word is posted or do you reflect on it first?

Oh, I am definitely a jump right in kind of person! The ideas and word associations just spin in my head! 




Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?

One at a time (mostly, lol.) I find if I stop I never get back to that one. I’m off on another tangent.

What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet, spiral bound etc?) and have you found your preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? Watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?

Most definitely, single sheet (at the moment Wausau vellum, heavy and erasable!) I think it’s because I’m left handed. I’ve always found it difficult to work around the binding in any kind of book!

As for preferred medium…I’d love to be able to collage like Diana Trout, or do watercolors like Jane Lafazio. Unfortunately, (or maybe it’s fortunately) my ‘style’ seems to be more, um, kitschy graphic. I am crazy for the saturated colors of markers and my style seems to run towards irreverent and funny, the markers just seem to fit.









Learn more about the Sketchbook Challenge here


8 comments:

  1. Love your stuff.

    I remember as a kid there were left handed spiral notebooks that were bound backwards. It made me think, why don't you just make a backwards book and just draw on the "back" of the pages? LOL

    I couldn't keep a single page because I would set them down and lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the honest insight... I too have had journals - mostly just stare at them... so this is a challenge but I'm pretty proud of my progress. My parents are both lefty's and the binding does get in the way. Your work is lovely! Your colors bring everything to life!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. this journaling is new to me and I have completed one page, just to break the journal in...and I too am left handed and find the binding sometimes binds me too! Love the post and artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is so wonderful and fresh. I'm so glad you gave that great tip to the lefties. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed meeting you through your honest words and sketches! I'd say that your style is just right for you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your whimsical drawings! right up my alley.
    I too prefer the single page, with the intention of later binding them, but I'm not sure exactly how or if I will really do that.
    How do you intend to bind your single pages, if you don't mind my asking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the lovely comments!
    As for how I’m going to bind my pages….I have absolutely NO idea, yet. Lol
    I could take them to an office supply store and have them do it but I’m hoping by the time it becomes an issue I will have thought of/learned a scathingly brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to get to know a little about your art! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.