Friday, March 11, 2011

Special guest Sketchbook Profile: Kathyanne White

The textile assemblages of artist Kathyanne White have been exhibited in solo and group exhibitions in museums and galleries throughout the United States and abroad. White’s work has been shown in the Fort Wayne Museum of Art in Indiana; the Snyderman Gallery in Philadelphia; the Vale Craft Gallery in Chicago; the Obsidian Gallery in Tucson, Arizona; the Eklecticos Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.; and the Nickle Art Museum, in Calgary, Alberta Canada.
In New York alone, White’s work has been shown at the Museum of Art and Design, the Museum of American Folk Art and the Archives of American Art of the Smithsonian Institution. In addition, her artwork is in numerous private, public and corporate collections, including those of The Museum of Art and Design, New York City; J-Tron, Inc. in Anaheim, California; the Los Abrigados Resort in Sedona, Arizona; and the St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Illinois.  Read more...
Why do you keep a sketchbook and how often do you work in it?
I keep a sketchbook because I am addicted to creating and sketchbooks are a different form of expression.  They hold all sorts of wonderful information.  There are no rules and don’t have to contain picture perfect entries, sometimes scribbles work, so does doodling.
My objective is to work daily in different sketchbooks and journals that are in use for various purposes, although this doesn't happen often.  Many time my sketchbooks are used to entertain myself as I work on my art.  In my work with digital printing alternative surfaces I am always building new surfaces to print.  Spending time with my sketchbooks and journals allow me to loose myself in the process and clear space in my head to find my solutions.  They also allow me to play the "what if?" game and brainstorm.  Then the page in my sketchbook could remain unfinished as inspiration hits and is just too tempting not to follow immediately.  I work hot and cold in my sketchbooks and go long periods of time with no entries. 
Currently, many of my more actively used sketchbooks are on my ipad in the form of apps- like ithoughts and popits.  This assists me in getting all my ideas and images together as I plan a workshop or project.  I brainstorm on my ipad as it’s easy to grab and throw in my purse.  Plus I don’t need any drawing tools.  I construct backgrounds on my ipad to combine writing and colored surfaces.  
Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?
Oh there are many more then several going at a time and this would include sketchbooks and journals.  There are studio books that document my work and assembly techniques.  I have one to keep track of the different processes I use in my work and my results.  Currently my work is documented on a couple of my blogs. My sketchbooks used to have all the results of completed artwork, now I blog the info.  I photo work constantly in my studio and then post the images.  This becomes another record without using a sketchbook.
Being a little obsessive, designing a new sketchbook happens all the time.  When I travel, I like to make new ones that will be the perfect one for that trip, right size, etc.  When I am working, I may just create a new sketchbook/ journal based on the way I feel that day.  I entertain myself creating them anytime I feel like it. 
What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet,spiral bound etc?) and preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?
My preference is to make my own.  Many times with mixed surfaces, painted fabric, dyed or painted paper, digital printed backgrounds.  My favorite page size is 8"x8".  I dye and paint the pages that go into my books in use because white just doesn't do it for me.   If I use spiral I will paint all the pages before I start depending on time.  Once in awhile I use a sketchbook on spiral that has white paper, then keep colored pencils with me to color the pages even after writing.   I do collage and get them fat and unrully, that is the way I like them.  My sketchbooks can go from simple to totally crazy color and text with digital prints in 3d pieces.  Depends on the day.  I love to paste all sorts of digital prints and textures built up on the pages. 
Covers are also important to me.  Whether the sketchbook is spiral or hand made, each one has a custom cover. 

As for pens these are my favorites- gelly roll, copic markers, black japanese brush pen with ink cartridge, sharpie poster paints, caligraphy pens, uni-ball signo japanese white pen.
What advice do you have for someone who wants to keep a sketchbook but doesn't know how to begin?
If you are timid view books written by artists and see what type of sketchbooks you are draw to.  Start that way and in a period of time you will be led to what works best for you.  If you aren’t afraid, just go for it.  Use your sketchbooks in the way you would do your art.  Feel your way through it and as you work it you will get better.

Anything else you'd like to add? 
The important thing to me is to use my own voice.  Do it the way I see it.  Sketchbooks can be for my eyes only, so anything goes. If they don’t speak to me, I can’t work in them.  They never have to be seen by anyone, so you don’t have to hold back. Over a period of time they assist in expanding your ideas. 

Visit Kathyanne's website here to see more of her work

Learn more about the Sketchbook Challenge here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.