Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spilling Over

Jamie Fingal here for the theme for March - "Spilling Over" - I often feel this way when too many ideas flood into mind for different projects and often run to my sketchbook to write it all down, hoping not to lose the momentum. A free expression in words, color, pattern, and your own personal style - a time to spill over on the page of life.  
This theme could mean many different things and is what you make it.  I imagine paint dripping down the paper in your sketchbook.  My head exploding over the fact that we are in the midst of TMi with e-mails, Facebook, Twitter, websites, blogs, YouTube, on-line groups, etc.
Spilling Over is drawn with a Parker Fountain Pen and colored in with Crayola Washable Markers.  Ransom lettering from magazines and newspapers spells out the words.

This has become my mantra to keep me centered in my life, and to not take myself so seriously.  LOL. Ransom lettering, Parker fountain pen, newspaper text for leaves and circles.

Taking a risk here revealing a rare day in which I had fleeting and somewhat lingering feelings about what I am doing in my artistic life But, frankly this is so true to life, so I thought I would share.  It made me feel better just writing it down in a creative way.   Sharpie pens freehand

Then something happens...and life turns around...revealing a more positive outlook on life...like a new day has dawned and everything is more clear.  Love this when it happens! 
Parker fountain pen, computer generated lettering
Random writing about my life in the background with bright fun flowers to inspire me! What has you "Spilling Over?"  Parker fountain pen for writing, flowers were drawn, painted with watercolors and fussy cut out and glued onto the text.

The theme for March is:

Create as many pages in your sketchbook related to this months theme as you like and post photos of them in the Sketchbook Challenge flickr group here or on your own blog if you have one.

How to be eligible for prize drawings:
In order to be eligible for one of this months prizes you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to this months theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "mar724".

IMPORTANT: PLEASE ONLY TAG ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS with this special code! It is not necessary to tag more than one and it will not increase your chances of winning prizes.

Photos of this months prizes can be found here and information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found here.

Winners will be chosen based on random draw on 3/31/11 and announced on the Sketchbook Challenge blog either on that day or on 4/1/11.

Get all the details on the sketchbook challenge here.


  1. Love the theme Jamie! thank you SO MUCH for being willing to share your innermost thoughts. I can so relate to your thoughts! This is going to be a fun theme. Your pictures have given me much to consider! I feel like you've given me the jump start I needed for this theme!

  2. What a great theme that I'm sure so many of us can relate to in so many different fashions! Love the inspiration you've provided behind the prompt too! :>

  3. Love the theme. I could not get my mind around opposites, but after reading your post I think I am just over thinking what we should be doing for this challenge. So I trust that I will submit more work this month. Thanks for reminding us it should be about having fun!!!

  4. I find this a very difficult theme ... Opposites was more my thing and I only just found out about the sketchbook challenge, so I didn't have much time to make sketches about that theme. I will have to think about this one for a bit.


  5. Thanks for doing such inspiring work and sharing your thoughts! Great theme.

    A thought for Blue Bird: don't think too much, just get your sketchbook out and start spilling stuff: spill paint, thoughts, ink, scribbling, go over the lines, the edges, just DO, don't think.

  6. What a good month to be spilling over, my list of to-dos is huge. Maybe I will make art of it in my sketchbook! So often my brain fills like this, how nice we have an outlet for it. Good theme!

  7. This is a terribly juicy theme, especially for those of us prone to big, messy, colorful overindulgence. Quite a lot in my life spills over!

  8. Fanfreakintastic idea...can't wait to get started...oops...gotta go to work first!:)

    Boy do I need to buy some markers and colored pencils....perfect excuse to go get some!

  9. I've been thinking about and experimenting with written words in my art for more than a week and coincidentally started working on a new one this morning! It may end up being a case of TMI with me, but even so, it will fit the theme of spilling over!

  10. the pages are gorgeous, love the energy!!!!
    Now I need to let my mind spill over....shouldn't be difficult!!!!!!

  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

  12. GREAT theme for March, Jamie! I love your pages: filled with pattern, color, and some heartfelt and honest thoughts. I think each of us goes through periods of self-doubt as artists, or we fill "used up" and wonder if there will be future inspiration and energy to put toward our work. Thank you for sharing this sentiment.
    I look forward to creating pages with this theme in mind. Spring is beginning to spill over in the garden. I'm ready!!

  13. Ah ha! GREAT prompt and particularly near and dear to my heart ;). Jamie, thanks so much for sharing the "dark" page. We are all in that boat sometimes and it nice to know that there is more than one oar in the water.

    I was over-thinking the theme of opposites. Not all of these prompts are going to appeal to all of us. When you are less than inspired, open that sketchbook anyway. It doesn't always have to be about the theme. Although, for certain, themes that don't instantly rock us, sometimes bear a closer look and may take us to places we hadn't thought of.

    Expect the unexpected. I wish I had thought of this sooner!

  14. Hi,
    I am going to go with Opposites for a bit longer as well as thinking about this new theme. Th day job rather got in the way during February. I do have some ideas too fo rthis new theme as well.
    I love the vibrsnt colour that you have used here as well.

  15. I love the theme and the inspiration. Thanks!

  16. @ Jane: I know I think too much sometimes. I guess that's because I'm an art teacher ...
    I always think about how to teach things and in order to do so I have to think the process through.

    I did make a sketch about the January theme. (I have to catch up because I just joined a few weeks ago)
    Or better said I want to catch up :)

  17. Great idea for a theme! I look forward to playing with it.

  18. so ready for winter to leave and for spring to spill over me!

  19. great idea. I keep thinking of water... Mentioned the Sketchbook Challenge on my blog and linked back to here. Excited to see what others will be up to. {:-Deb

  20. This is right up my ally. Anytime I get permission to use markers all wild and colorful and some 'tangled inspired patterns I just love it. Thanks for the prompt.

    Here's my entry:

    I also uploaded to your flickr group. I'll be back to check out more prompts and stop in to see what others are creating.

  21. This is my first month and I'm tickled by the theme. I've lived my life being dedicated to my two passions and by trying to make a living from those two things (art & horses) my whole life has felt like parts of it spilled over into other parts.
    I'm looking forward to making more and more sketches just dedicated to the theme.
    Thrilled to be here. I've made a special page for it on my blog:

  22. Added more Spilling Over sketches to my blog. More cheerful was in which Mr. Pie spilled over into my life.
    I hope to help my niece get her blog and sketchbook challenge going tonight. Wish me luck. . . I had some minor set backs when I realize that she can't have her own flickr page since she's only 11.

  23. I have to admit, at first I was a little stumped by this theme. But then...

    My entry is here.

    Thanks :)

  24. so this is my first sketchbook challenge. I have literally been thinking about what to do all month. I was thinking too much and just started drawing.


  25. Loved this month's theme! And I really enjoyed another year long project I'm working on Spilling Over and onto an art journal page for The Sketchbook Challenge. I've layered up some areas of personal creative growth this year. :>


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.