Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thing 1, Thing 2 and a Nudge




Diana here with the Cat in the Hat today. 


"The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day. Too wet to go out and too cold to play ball. So we sat in the house. We did nothing at all."
Nothing.at.all. Until Thing 1 and Thing 2 popped out of their boxes. I've always wonder if Doc Seuss wrote this to Creatives as well as kiddies.

It was a cold, cold wet day when I did this sketch. I like to get out the jar of gesso and do over a couple of pages in advance. I slop it on there, leaving ridges and bumps and scumbled areas. This layer of paint will seal the surface of the paper so that the Portfolios can later be scraped. I'm sure craft store acrylic paint would work fine too. Just use a light color.

When the Portfolios want to jump out their boxes, they are free to run around on a clean, white gessoed page. Yummy and delicious, I say! Scribbling different colors of Portfolios and then smearing them around with my fingers is way more fun than T1 and T2 were having. I use my fingers like brushes and push the color in any direction. 

After this part is done, draw and scrape into the color with a fingernail, skewer, toothpick, pencil or anything else you have on hand works. 

You can take a damp brush and and kinda push the color around too. Even rub out spaces, like I did where I have the stone piles. 

Oh yeah, where is that Cat with his Picker Upper Machine? I sure could use him.

Speaking of spilling, Nudge 24 Pattern Spilling is up on my blog here. Jamie has inspired me to make a mess (hmm... some may say I need no encouragement on that). Go on over and have a look. Here's a sneaky peek ;)
Now stop reading this blog, leave a comment and have a bit of art fun this weekend.
Diana

9 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, I will definitely try this out... that scraping effect reminds me of a field of colorful wheat blowing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me a portfolio is the list and information on my investments. Sometimes it is used by architects, artist, writer etc to show their work. What is it in your context. Googling revealed nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am gonna do that for sure. I so love learning new techniques and seeing all the styles and tools to work with. Thanks for sharing.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I STILL hate Portfolios (water-soluble oil pastels), but this may inspire me to give them another shot. I did try sealing a Portfolio application with matte medium, but eventually the medium peeled off. I guess I'm just stuck in my acrylic mode, and they are not really compatible. You make them look luscious! Maybe I'll try your technique with oil pastels. Thanks for the Nudge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried Portfolios but after reading this post will put them on my "to try" list. Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought Dr. Seuss was writing for the adults who were reading to their children. Thanks for the nudge. I actually need a shove today!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Diana, I will go and play! I love to read the Sketchbook Challenge entries everyday. I just ordered your book, Journal Spilling, it should arrive next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I should have explained Portfolios. They are a water-soluble oil pastels made by Binney and Smith. You can find them at Staples and some art supply stores. My craft stores don't carry them. They are inexpensive and very nice to use, softer than regular oil pastels.

    ReplyDelete