Friday, April 8, 2011

Branching Out in Italia

Hello Sketchbookers, Diana here. As you read this, I will be drinking a big glass of wine here in Fabriano, Italy. I suppose you could call that branching out. Would you like to see what I packed for this sketching trip?
I was all set to carry one type of journal with me but then I saw Carole Loeffler's watercolor Moleskine the other night at a meeting and remembered: yes. This is the perfect journal, slim with wonderful paper.
My portable Sakura watercolor palette with a couple of brushes. I'm still debating on the caran d'ache as they are not absolutely necessary but lovely to use. It is always a question: what to bring and what to leave at home. Have you ever, really?, badly wished for something left at home?
My tools fit neatly into this zip case. The case is plastic lined and opens nicely so that I can see what I'm looking for. Derwent Inktense pencils are coming along as well. I couldn't leave those behind. But just a selection! Also the Derwent Watersoluble sketching pencils. I love those. I found a Sakura Micron pen in Sepia the other day in my favorite sketching size, which is thick - .5 - but is juicy and nice to write with as well. 

I'm also packing a set of vintage book covers. I will make these into a portfolio and fill it with a selection of  italian papers. I like the variety in size and weights, etc. The Museo della Carta has a wide range of beautiful papers and I'll be able to use their studio to create this very simple container. It will be quite an honor to work there and get a feel for this well-loved museum where the watermark was invented in the mid-19th century. If all goes as expected, new year I will be back and teaching there. Wanna come?

In other news ...
My online class, Inner Circle Journal begins on April 21. Registration ends April 18. You can get all of the information on the class here on my blog. Here is the description video.


Ciao my friends,
Diana

2 comments:

  1. What FUN to see you in this video, and imagine you being in Fabriano! Hope you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your packing. Just seeing your tools and materials all put together is inspiring. Hope you remembered to take clothes! Enjoy your trip, be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.