Friday, April 15, 2011

Special Guest Sketchbook Participant Profile: Kathleen Murphy

Meet Sketchbook Challenge participant Kathleen Murphy...

I started sewing in 1976 in Home Economics class and began quilting in 1993 when I joined a local guild Thimble Pleasures Quilt Guild. I live in a small town in Massachusetts with my husband, four kids and a cairn terrier.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Art from Framingham State University. Since 1994 I have been an Interior Design consultant and fabricator.  Read more... 
How has the sketchbook challenge influenced your sketchbook keeping practice? 
The sketchbook challenge is the only reason I’m sketching! Without it I wouldn’t make the time to do it. I used to draw all the time as a kid and a college student but hadn’t really drawn in 20 years. I pulled out my old art box and have been using some of my old pencils, and water color paints.  
Tell me how you're approaching each challenge - do you jump right in and start sketching as soon as the new challenge word is posted or do you reflect on it first?  
I have approached it both ways. The first challenge, Highly Prized, was easy and I could find several physical objects to sketch. The next word, Opposites, was a bit more challenging for me. I had to talk with friends about their ideas on how to interpret it before I could get the juices flowing.

Do you work in just one at a time or do you have several going at once?  
I typically do one at a time. But I rarely finish it in one sitting. I try to take advantage of time spent waiting in Dr.’s offices or listening at meetings; PTO, Town, guild. The sketches from the spilling over theme have all been done at a meeting or gathering of some sort. To keep it simple I’ll sketch in pencil and fill in with black ink and color when I'm back at home with my supplies.  
What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet, spiral bound etc?) and have you found your preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?
I prefer to use a spiral bound sketchbook and have several different sizes. I just bought one that has a hardcover, 9” x 12” with 90 lb cream, smooth paper. It’s perfect for the mediums I like to work with; black ink, colored pencils and watercolor paints.
Anything else you'd like to add?
I sketch to practice, I enjoy the process but I’m not thinking every one will be “a keeper”. This philosophy allows me to keep going and not get discouraged if every sketch isn’t perfect.


1 comment:

  1. I love the drawing she did of the tread - you can tellit's Gutterman by the sheen and luster that clearly comes thru in her drawing. Kudos!!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.