Sunday, May 29, 2011

Got my kiddie crayons...

For the May Challenge..I dug out my kid's crayons for the Resist Theme. I had found a wasp's nest and loved the design of the circles and shapes of the nest and have been wanting to do something fun with it. So, here is my interpretation. :)

I used regular crayons, watercolors and Derwent Inktense pencils. (I love these pencils!!)

I can envision this piece with embroidery thread and beads!! Now to figure out how to get this onto fabric....without it fading out in the process... Ideas???
I would love to hear from ya'll!
susan sorrell


  1. I'm not sure how you'd make this pretty design into beadwork, but when you do, I'd love to see it.

    Maybe you could use irridescent seed beads in the pinks and oranges and yellow to make little frames around a larger round/oval bead of complementary colors. Probably doesn't'll figure it out.

  2. wonderful! and so very you. Just scan it and print it on the pretreated fabric and then do you magic embellishment!

  3. Glad to know these pencils work on fabric too! thanks-

  4. That's what I was thinking...that you could scan it and even manipulate it with your fav photo editing software and print...or you could go to and have them print it for you....a little more expensive!:)

    I love what you did, looks very Van Goghish!:)

  5. Susan, it's gorgeous. Try scanning it and then doing some digital adjustment in Photoshop Elements to enhance the colour (so it looks too intense-since it will loose some intensity when printed on to the fabric). You could also try printing it onto TAP once you've scanned it into your computer.

    Looking forward to seeing the finished stitched and beaded masterpiece!

  6. Try the InkTense pencils on fabric and then work over with a fabric medium. I have tried ones which seem to leave a plasticy finish, but a traditional one called Ormoline leaves a nice hand.

  7. Thanks for all the ideas! I do have some of that TAP paper and have never used it. :) Also I will have to check out the Ormoline fabric medium...where can I find it?


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.