Friday, May 20, 2011

Resistance: Gesso and Freezer Paper

As many of you know, this month's theme is "Can't Resist This". So I thought I would share one of my favorite techniques that makes use of a resist. In this case the resist is gesso, but you could use any kind of acrylic medium.

First I coat the sketchbook page or paper with a thin coat of gesso and let it dry thoroughly. Then I fill the page with acrylic color, in this case some reds, golds and purples. While the paint is still a bit wet I spritz on some water from a squirt bottle, and tip the page to get some drips. Let it dry a bit more (the water is still wet!), then blot with a paper towel. If I don't gesso the paper first, then it absorbs the paint more and you don't get the dramatic effect.

For a second kind of resist, I cut out a shape (in this case, a bird) in freezer paper and ironed it to the painted page. I learned this technique from one of our sketchbook challenge participants, Laura, who posts on our flickr site. Then, I painted around the freezer paper mask before removing it. Just a sketchbook page, not a finished piece.

Laura said she got the idea from a tutorial on the Sew Daily newsletter, in which they were making freezer paper stencils for quilts. Click here to view the article (Thanks, Laura, for the link!).

To see my own video tutorial on the gesso resist (I call it "Spritz and Blot") and freezer paper, visit my blog.


4 comments:

  1. Jane, I love the bird and the colors. Great design. Thanks for sharing the idea for freezer paper and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mouth actually started watering when I saw these beautiful images. Jane you are a marvel! Thanks so much for sharing this fantastic technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun, I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.