Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Solstice Series - a new pathway

Hi, Jane Davies here. I just started a series that I am calling "Solstice Series", only because it is Summer Solstice. Since I just began this yesterday, I don't really know if any of them are finished yet. They'll have to sit for a while, but I thought I'd share some of my process with you. This is going to have to serve as my post on the Pathways theme. Every series is a new journey. I only know where I start out, and never have a clue where I'll end up.

I started this series with a basic composition in mind: vertical stripes, and some kind of circle. Only this one has the circle so far:

But this one is getting there. I don't think this one is finished yet:

This one may be finished. At this point I don't think it needs the circle. It turns out to be more about the stripes, shapes, scribbles, and textures:

I am liking the depth of layers here, but not sure where it is going next:

Here are a couple of "stage 1's" in this series. I'm using Nickle-Azo Yellow, Quinacridone Gold, and a couple of reds.

The pattern underneath the color is created by squeezing out acrylic medium with a scribble motion, then placing another paper over it, face down. So you get two sheets of paper with the scribbled design. Like a print. I let that dry, then use a credit card to scrape on the paint.

I create a little more texture like this:
  1. Lay down one color of paint (unevenly) and let it dry.
  2. Apply another color over it.
  3. When the second coat is just tacky, use a plastic pipette or eye dropper to apply water in drops or scribbled lines.
  4. Wait until the paint is dry and the water has soaked in a bit, and then blot with a paper towel.
Maybe I'll do a video tutorial on this if anyone is interested. It's a fun way to build up texture. Thanks for visiting! And happy Solstice!!


  1. Jane, A new pathway indeed. ahh, Summer. I love, the colors here warms with accents of sky blue. The layering of the mediums creating textures is very nice.

  2. I really like this... I'm beginning to realize.. I think maybe I prematurely "reach for the end" of a painting too often. I have this idea that I want to start and finish a painting in a day. Need to spend more time doing things like this!

  3. I would love a tutorial on this layering/background building. I seem to be frustrating myself lately. Thanks, kathy

  4. I am interested in a video, Jane. I am interested in whatever you do!!!

  5. Very interesting compositions!
    I love the colors and patterns.

  6. pretty please! will you do a tutorial?!?

  7. Yes! I love this technique--a tutorial would be great!

  8. A beautiful way to bring in summer! A tutorial would be great! These are very exciting.

  9. I love all of your colors. However,I'm particularly fond of your first. It's your circle that gets me.
    Tutorials are always appreciated.

  10. OK OK OK!!!! Thanks so much for all your comments. I will definitely do a tutorial on this. Stay tuned.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.