Monday, August 1, 2011

August Theme: Everyday Objects

japanese tea cup
Jane LaFazio here. You may recall my series of watercolor journal pages from earlier this year featuring everyday objects from my home.
candle  snack bowls
I really enjoyed doing it, and it reinforced my feeling that there is a weath of things to draw wherever you look, but especially in the comfort of your own home.
ptichers     pin cushion ~ everyday objects
What objects to you see or use every day?
Do they have a special meaning or story behind them? Or are they just pretty, or weird, interesting or even slightly boring?
everyday objects  coffee spoons
The theme for August is EVERYDAY OBJECTS. After you've read this, get up from your computer and walk around your house. Select a small something and draw it. Maybe try to do one a week, since I know you've got plenty of subject matter.
To make this even easier and quicker, I've posted a tutorial on my blog. Step by step instructions on how I drew the ceramic jar and chicken-shaped timer from my kitchen  using a water soluble pen.
sb everyday objects
I look forward to getting a peek inside your home this month and viewing your Everyday Objects.

The theme for August is EVERYDAY OBJECTS

How to be eligible for prize drawings:  

In order to be eligible for one of the August prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the August theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "aug368".  
It is not necessary to tag more than one and it will not increase your chances of winning.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found 

Winners will be chosen based on random draw on 8/31/11 and announced on the Sketchbook Challenge blog either on that day or on 9/1/11.

Special bonus offer this month from August sponsor Mistyfuse
An additional special offer from Mistyfuse for all our sketchbook challenge followers!:
Get 2 yds of black Mistyfuse free ($7 value) and free shipping anywhere in the US (elsewhere shipping is $3.50)  with a purchase of 10yds of White or Ultraviolet Mistyfuse.
To qualify for this special offer make your purchase as stated above on the Mistyfuse website here and then "reply" to the order confirmation email you  get, but change the subject to read "August Sketchbook Challenge."
Offer expires 8/31/11


  1. what an awesome theme Jane! I can't wait to get started on it.

  2. Now this gets right to the heart of drawing. Thanks for the theme, and thanks especially for the tutorial. I've been out of drawing for a few months, and this should kick me in the pants (or shorts).

  3. Definitely going to try this one!

  4. This theme should get me drawing!

  5. This is a really cool theme. You should check out Andrea Joseph's blog. Her sketches of everyday objects are breathtaking! Look at her post of pens from July 25th.. it's unbelievable!

  6. This is my first month,and I'm loving the challenge - Everyday Objects. There's no way I can't find something o draw. I'm surrounded by everyday stuff. Thanks!

  7. Hey there, I have just found this blog, and wanted to have a go. If your interested in my first go this is it here:


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.