Thursday, August 25, 2011

Everyday Objects Collage

Jane Davies here. I've taken a bit of a hiatus from posting on The Sketchbook Challenge this summer due to an overload of other obligations, but I have been checking in frequently and LOVE the posts that have gone up! Everyday Objects has been a real challenge! But I finally found a way in: making collages from everyday objects - in this case, junk mail and discarded paperbacks. I'd gotten stuck on the idea of drawing objects, and that just hasn't been my mode this summer. These were inspired by Melinda Tidwell and Kurt Nimmo, both of whom I found on Flickr. They both make beautiful and concise use of found text from paperbacks and magazines.

"Cultural Literacy"


"Cultural Literacy 2"


"The Shape You're In"


These are all 8"x8" on paper. Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

  1. Jane - Seeing all the drawings over on flickr, I too got stuck on the idea of drawing. Thanks for a different take on everyday objects and idea of using everyday objects junk mail and discarded paper in our pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool idea, i will have to pass this on to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, and they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! way to take the theme and make it your own.

    ReplyDelete