Tuesday, September 13, 2011

books that unfurl - a free project sheet

When I  saw this months theme two images popped into my head.  The first was the image of the spiral and the second was an image of an accordion style book:

A dos-a'-dos book (accordian) book is a great book structure because you can really have fun and get creativity with how you treat the opposite sides of the book.  Maybe you fill each side with a different type, color or style of paper.  Or maybe you change up the paper that you use to create the book with and create an opposite effect on each cover end.  The one you see in the photo above is a hard cover book made with binders board but you could just as easily make yours with any sturdy cardboard you happen to have laying around in your studio.  Want to try making one of these books?  Well you're in luck because I've decided to make the directions for the one you see in the photo above from my creative bookmaking online class available as a free project download!

You'll find the downloadable project sheet at the top of my free project page on my blog here.  If you make a book I hope you'll post it to the flickr group so everybody can ooh and ahh over it!

p.s.  if you'd rather make one of these using fabric stay tuned, later this week I'll be posting a free project sheet for a fabric version too!  And if you're interested in purchasing the complete Creative Bookmaking online class you'll find it here in my etsy shop.


  1. I am still trying my hand at the accordion style; don't feel I am EVEN close to neat on it-Thanks!

  2. wow Sue, just visited your free project page...WOW! so many great projects and ideas. thank you! I printed out the cereal box booklet to do with my after school art program, Mundo Lindo. thanks!

  3. May I blog about this accordian book PDF and leave a link to your free project page??


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.