Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Peek Inside My Girl Scout Sketchbook

Jamie Fingal here, sharing a glimpse into another side of me - Girl Scouts.  I have been designing GS themed artwork since 1999.  For myself, troops, service units, GS Councils and my own council - Girl Scouts Orange County in California; Above is my version of Juliette Low, the founder of Girl Scouts, and she was the official logo for Urban Adventure for a couple of years at our council. The artwork is 8-1/2" x 11"
Above are GS icons that are one inch squares. Yes, they are small.  I draw them on graph paper with pencil to start, then in black ink.  Then I copy each one onto bristol stock, so I can paint them with watercolors.  This method has worked well for me over the years, especially if I happen to need an icon in a different color format, I can copy and begin again.  It's also nice to have B/W for other purposes.

Here they are all painted, and this is just 2 pages worth, I have several - as lingo, program and opportunities change in GS.  These have been used for brochures, awards for older girls, promotional materials, and most recently, a blog for a friend.


I also designed note cards and was at one time an "Official Licensed Vendor of GSUSA."
I made this small quilt with one of my card designs that was photo transferred onto fabric to made a focus point, and added fun fun fabrics and buttons around the edges.

My newest group of GS icons, that were drawn and painted directly onto watercolor paper.  Maybe I am evolving?

7 comments:

  1. These are really cute! I can see why were a licensed designer at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! They just all make me so happy to see. Big smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words about my work. I do so appreciate it. Girl Scouts are near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.