Monday, September 19, 2011

Who's On Vacation?

Certainly not me, although with my absence from this blog, you might think I have been! Hi, Judi, here! I'm sorry, dear friends, for vanishing for the last few months, but I know that while I was off dealing with a chaotic home life, my companions in the Sketchbook Challenge have been keeping the fun going for you all here with their color-filled and informative posts.

So, let's check the status of my sketchbooks, shall we?


Right. They've been on a shelf the entire summer, gathering dust and looking at me sadly every morning when I step into the studio to start working. But I have to nod and smile at them, pat them a little for encouragement now and then, because the truth is that while I'm not currently working in a sketchbook, every single thing I've done this year has been based on a concept (Stacked Journaling) that was germinated, nurtured and grown in a sketchbook.

Back in December of last year, while puttering in my sketchbook, I hit upon the concept of stacking my own handwriting to create texture, movement- even an entire story! I've been on fire every since and now, almost a year later, I'm still stacking my handwriting- it has taken over everything I do and all my current work is based on using, expanding and stretching Stacked Journaling to its limits (which I've yet to find!)

 ("Joyous" 12 1/2" x 12 1/2", 2011)

Three years ago, I took sloppy care of my sketchbooks. I didn't use them much, except when I thought I didn't have anything better to do, and I added to them only as a lark, a break from the boredom in between the spaces where I made "real art". I was a silly fool.

One little sketch, one tiny idea, one page filled with my terrible handwriting, one hand-bound book to contain my future aspirations- and my life has changed.

Get your sketchbooks down off that high shelf they've been relegated to, blow away the cobwebs, and give them a small hug (go ahead, no one's watching!) And then unfurl your talent into their pages.


  1. Your stacked writing technique has been a real blessing and joy for me! And it's quite addictive! Thank you for sharing it!

  2. Congratulations on your new inspiration. Love "Joyous!"

  3. There's nothing like learning a new technique to inspire us. Thanks for sharing.

  4. Hug your sketchbook, hug it tight, hug it till you feel alright.
    (Sorry, I have a little one)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.