Sunday, October 9, 2011

30 Day Challenge - A portrait a Day.
















30 Day Challenge – A portrait a Day.


Violette here!
At the beginning of August I decided to give myself a challenge to create a self-portrait every day for 30 days. I was inspired by a TED talk given by Matt Cutt on “Try something new for 30 days”. Matt thought that 30 days was just about the right time to change a habit. Check out the short video – very inspiring!

I created silhouettes, stencils, sketches, paintings, face portraits, ink portraits, art journal pages, digital portraits, caricatures, me as a bird portrait etc.



 















Blue bowl Violette – this was last months Sketchbook Challenge – Ordinary object:










Violette as a fantasy creature:


Crayon Violette (which I then repurposed):










Caricature me:










Why not give yourself a 30 day challenge? Start where you are or if you like begin at the start of the month and create a portrait every day. It will challenge you - your work will shift and improve. You'll experiment with new techniques just like i did! Good luck! xo

You can start to catch up on my posts here.

8 comments:

  1. This is what I have been doing too. It is such a wonderful way to extend myself. I have just finshed doing l;ayers and now I am drawing parts of the body. Already I can see an improvement :)

    I love you self portraits they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violet, great inspiration. I went through a steady journaling period where I would draw myself in many different forms/moods. It is extremely rewarding. You have a real knack for self portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The past three months I have had a 30 day challenge (1st- a portrait a day; 2nd - a doodle a day; 3rd - a designed alphabet.) Having been on a driving holiday since I don't know when, I haven't had time to sit and come up with a new one. Will see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food for thought, definitely! I think you are right about the 30-day thing. Anything you take up for 30 days straight you can probably do forever. I was doing self-portraits almost every day for a while, and it is a very revealing and fun exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine - i'm so happy to hear that you are exploring the body by drawing it. You are bound to improve! Thank you for the compliment - i had fun creating the self-portraits!

    Love, Violette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn - thank you! so nice to hear that you have enjoyed drawing yourself and your moods...it's challenging at times but worth it!

    Love, violette

    ReplyDelete
  7. McMgrad - wow - sounds like you have been super busy! I'm sure it must be challenging to be drawing on a driving holiday - but doable. Are you familiar with Moonlight Chronicles? Dan Price is an artist and art journaler who goes on walkabouts drawing what he sees and comes across. I highly recommend his book!
    Love, Violette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane - i found it very revealing for sure but also challenging especially when i wanted to explore different ways and styles of drawing. Just like you said "taking up anything for 30 days" straight you can probably do forever! Now if only i could be tidy and pick up after myself for 30 days - that would be a miracle! Ha!
    Love, Violette

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.