Monday, October 10, 2011

How to draw Barbie

barbie, tombow
Jane LaFazio here. I'm just sure this was the tutorial you've been waiting for! :-) 
I always try to draw from real life (or in this case vastly exaggerated 'life.')
barbie, tombow
Start with a pencil sketch. Take your time. Really look at the object. Check the proportions. Walk away from your drawing, then come back to it. You'll often see where you need to make corrections.
barbie, tombow
Looking just as closely at Barbie, I refined the drawing, using a Tombow water soluble pen. I wanted a minute for the pen to dry, then erased the pencil lines.
 barbie, tombow
Use a  watercolor brush, with clear water, and gently blend the lines of ink. Just work on the shadows, leave lots of white of the page.
 barbie, tombow
I added some splash of loose watercolor. Barbie is so blond!
barbie doll
(Here's a link to another tutorial I did, using a water soluble pen. It's a great way to learn to see the subtle shading of an object.)
 barbie 7
The Sketchbook Challenge E-Zine has a tutorial by me, on how to draw and watercolor a pinecone. Just in case you don't have a Barbie doll on hand...




6 comments:

  1. Jane, this is awesome! Great tutorial--I have a few Barbies AND Little Pony's from when my daughter was little...can't wait to dig them out and practice! Thanks! Pam =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jane! I happen to have a couple Barbie dolls, reproductions of the Barbie dolls I got as gifts in the 60s...thank you so much for sharing this with us! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea! I think I still have some old barbies in my attic. I may just dig them out after seeing this. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Jane. Who knew you would draw Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I have been waiting for. How did you know?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.