Friday, October 7, 2011

Interior Views

Jamie Fingal here.  In thinking about the theme for this month "views" I contemplated what I would design to interpret the theme.  I love houses, no surprise there.  I went to my stash of board books, and lucky for me, there was this house book.  I started with a typical cardboard book, and cut new windows on each page with an x-acto knife.  I gesso'd every page to give it more stability during the painting process.

Let the painting begin - My plan is to paint three different layers of paint for each page.  A base coat, stencil coat and a top coat, in which I will use a rubber comb.  To begin -I painted each side with Craft Smart Acrylic Craft Paint from Michael's (inexpensive), all different colors; then I put post-it-notes over each window blank, so I wouldn't get paint on those portions during the stenciling process.
I stenciled each page with dots, letters, blocks, patterns, etc.  I chose paint colors that were a significant contrast from the background color, so it would stand out.  The brush is a foam round - 2 ended,  from Color Box, and I've had it for years.

After the stenciling paint was dry, I painted another coat of paint - another contrast and then quickly used this rubber comb to make designs in the paint.  I love it how all 3 layers show through, giving the pages dimension and texture.
Watercolors for the views inside the house - tea for two, a spotted dog, a purse, umbrella, lamp, flowers, 2 dresses, a bookshelf, a clock and a "home sweet home" painting - all things that I love inside my own house.

The book is ready for the artwork to be glued in.  I used white glue and books were laid upon each one to secure them into place.
A 2-page sample

A close up of one of the pages; the purse is on another page, showing through the window.  I outlined the letters and numbers with a Pilot Razor Point black pen, so they appear as if they are jumping off the page.
Front of the house with the cut-out windows, spelling h o m e

The interior views of the house from above; a more detailed "how to" is on my Twisted Sister blog

9 comments:

  1. Wow ! really cool- thanks for getting me thinking in dimensions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving this! I think I need to add some board books to my stash...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the board book and all the yummy layers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the small circle template you're using? :) I've been looking everywhere for something like that!

    Beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the small circle stencil is made by Stewart Gill - it's on their website. They are most often a vendor at the International Quilt Festival in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the view from your house Jamie! The pages look like paste paper...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've given me a great idea for a scrapbook as I want to do one of daughter's dog while the dog has an extended visit on our farm. Town dog becoming farm dog makes for interesting photos :).
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. FABULOUS, Jamie! What a fun interpretation of this theme!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.