Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Special Guest Sketchbook Participant Profile: Moon Stumpp

Meet Sketchbook Challenge participant Moon Stumpp...

How has the sketchbook challenge influenced your sketchbook keeping practice?

BSC (before Sketchbook Challenge), I was stuck in the testing mode, mostly new pens and paint in my studio journal only.  I still use those journals and will continue but…it did not satisfy my creative ventures.  Sketchbook Challenge has opened my eyes to a whole new world of visual journaling, collage, gouache, onsite sketching, etc.  It has made a huge difference in both my full time job as a lampworker and my part time job as a mixed media painter.  


Tell me how you're approaching each challenge - do you jump right in and start sketching as soon as the new challenge word is posted or do you reflect on it first?  


I just dive right in, no muss, no fuss.  I like to just hit the paper and flow with the concept.


Do you work in just one sketchbook at a time or do you have several going at once?


I work in several different ones at the same time plus project or themed sketchbooks.  The main reason why I work in several is my pref medium is mixed water medium.  It just takes time for the page to dry.  The other reason is size and where I am at the time.  I keep a two separated sketch packs.  One is for planned outings, which has everything in it except for the kitchen sink.  Then a smaller one that is in my purse.  


What's your preferred format (sketchbook size, type of paper, single sheet,spiral bound etc?) and have you found your preferred medium for using in your sketchbook? watercolor, pen, pencil, crayon, collage etc?


I used to use loose sheets and Arches watercolor blocks but I kept losing them, forgetting to date them, and sometimes, I wouldn’t even finish the work.  The out of site, out of mind concept.  My favorite *was* 300lb 4x6, postcard sized, Arches watercolor paper.  Well, just made for cat toys at my house so I moved on to bound pads of one type or another.


I tried out several different types of sketchbooks.  I keep going back to 104lb watercolor Strathmore Visual Journals and Moleskines.  My current favorite is Moleskine Folio Watercolour Albums because they are 11x8 and open up to a 8x22 landscape; which is wonderful for composite layouts.  The other sketchbook that I’m beginning to get a fondness for Strathmore Windpower Watercolor Pads, the 6x9 because it works also like a steno pad.  The spiral bound sometimes gets in my way when I draw…but they are also convenient for onsite sketching.


I almost always work on watercolor paper.  I like the option to add either watercolor or gouache.  Color does make the world go round. There are certain mainstays that I always come back to: Daniel Smith watercolors, Turner Acryl gouache, fountain pens, Platinum Carbon Ink, Tombow markers, and various water soluble inks for washes.



Anything else you'd like to add?

Enjoy yourself…there’s no rules…create like nobody is watching. 


  1. Very nice to meet you! I love the way you are working. Guffaw: loose papers are cat toys. I love the way you patterned the backgrounds in the leaf sketches.

  2. Oh, I love the leaf pages! So neat!

  3. Thank you...nice meeting both of you as well. The leaf background was an experiment...I guess it worked. :-)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.