Tuesday, October 4, 2011

the view inside one of my sketchbooks

I often view the world through the lens of my camera.  I carry my small pocket sized camera with me wherever I go and most often I use it to take photos of textured, aged, colorful and rusted surfaces. I rarely take a photo that's not a closeup.  I like to get in close and capture the details of the texture of what I'm photographing because it's usually the texture that I find most exciting.  I print a lot of the photos that I take onto 4”x6” photo paper and paste them into a sketchbook.


I use these photos as reference and inspiration for new pieces of work, especially my painted silk surfaces and lately I’ve been using the colors and textures in them as inspiration to create collages in one of my sketchbooks:


 Sometimes they're inspired by the colors in a photograph and other times the texture...



Some of these collages may end up being the starting point for a new piece of fiber art.   Creating these collages is a great way to use up some of my scrap papers and as a way to loosen up when I'm not sure what I want to work on. 


5 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous inside your sketch book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you actually print out your inspiration pictures - now that is an idea I am going to start using! Truly inspirational. Thank you Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like using my camera to collect inspiration ideas. Often it is quicker and better than me trying to sketch it on poor weather or dodgeing other people. I have used this method for some of the monthly challenges.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.