Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A View of a Room-Susan R. Sorrell

When Carol Sloan announced this month's challenge, View, the first thing that came to my mind was my trusty View Finder! I have several view finders, but this is the one I carry around with my sketch book. It is a 2" x 2" square cut out of a piece of white poster board. (I also have bigger view finders that are made with ready made photo mats that I keep at the studio and use with my fabrics) This small one is easy to tuck into my sketch book and pull out when I need to isolate an area. 

I have found that when you isolate part of a scene, it is easier to "digest" and doesn't look daunting to draw.  Plus, it helps me to compose my drawing and break it down in shapes. 


While I was walking around my condo with my view finder, I was trying to find interesting compositions and then I found my mountain of shoes!



I love the composition of the shoe mountain and decided this would make a great contour line drawing.


And it might even become a new embroidery series!





7 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm glad you discussed the "view finder" trick because I tend to forget about it. My old painting teacher was adamant that this was the best way to decide what should be in a painting/drawing.
    Thanks for the refresher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how you drawed that! Thankx for the inspiration, I'm sure I'll use the idea of the little frame.

    xx Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fun! and think many of us have a mountain of shoes to select from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I love my view finders and use them in all of my painting, fabric and drawings. They are a handy things to keep around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! : ) I need to make these for my kids too I think. I use one for my photos - to decide where to crop. I never thought of going around the house & yard like this. ; )

    ~Monika
    in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice! I'm planning a post on a different use of a view finder, but I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A shoe series, it sounds like a big project, but fun. I need a viewfinder too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.