Thursday, November 17, 2011

Leonardo and Me

Diana here with some old drawings. I hate to admit this but they must be 25-30 years old. Carla's Imaginary Creatures prompt sent me scurrying through my old files.


Leonardo's recipe for a drawing a creature or monster from Treatise on Painting ...

"Take the head of a mastiff or a setter, 
the eyes of a cat, the ears of a porcupine, 
the nose of a greyhound,
 the eyebrows of a lion,
the temples of an old cock, 
and the neck of a turtle.”


I'm always dreamin' of Leonardo, like here


More drawings from back in the day. All of these were done in pencil.

Mom on the beach

The Sentry

Bad Seahorse in prison


These drawings, though I didn't know it at the time, were the beginnings of my NorthEast Kingdom series of paintings, drawings and watercolors. It was very fun to be reminded of those days and see the way my drawing has evolved. These are so much more technical than what I currently do! I am itching to make the head on the Beach Bird about 3 times bigger. 

You can read a little bit about the NorthEast Kingdom on my website, here and see some of my artwork (citizens and architecture) here

By the way, there is a terrific blog hop going on right now: eleven tutes by the end. You can check out the details on my blog.

See you soon with some more (current) creature drawings.

5 comments:

  1. Your pencil sketches are WAY COOL. I can't wait to see your current day take offs on them. I still have 2 oil paintings I did in high school. Fun, indeed, to see where we've been and how it played a part in getting us to where we are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Diana! Your mom has some skinny beach legs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What marvelous drawings. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning fanciful drawings, love that inspiration.
    Have a nice weekend, hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some other work that fits into a similar catagory: by wayne anderson. Particulary his developmental images.

    http://www.wayneandersonart.com/Wayne_Anderson_Art/Galleries/Pages/B%26W_Development_Images.html
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.