Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November's Theme: Imaginary Animals

Hello from Carla Sonheim!

November's theme is

IMAGINARY ANIMALS

Most of us love animals. But why "IMAGINARY?"

Because even when we draw "realistically," we are still bound by pen and paper, our shaky hands, and our pretty wonky way of seeing things.

So, in truth, ANY animals we create are imaginary!

Enjoy creating creatures this month that are

REALISTIC
IMAGINED
HYBRIDS
SILLY
SERIOUS
LARGE
SMALL
UPSIDE DOWN
and
ALL AROUND

Here are a few of my recent imaginary animals!
For this one I smeared Pan Pastels on my paper and finished with ballpoint pen from my imagination.
This was created with a Sharpie (ultra fine point) from a random shape found in some peeling paint.


These are one-liners created from a photo of my cat, Natalie.

This one was created with vine charcoal from a photo reference.

And this one was created from an abstract watercolor start, then finished with imagination, watercolor and collage!

Really, all you need to remember when drawing animals this month? HAVE FUN!!!

* * *

November's theme is

IMAGINARY ANIMALS

How to be eligible for prize drawings:

In order to be eligible for one of Novembers prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the November theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "nov349".
IMPORTANT: PLEASE ONLY TAG ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS with this special code!
It is not necessary to tag more than one and it will not increase your chances of winning.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found
here.

Winners will be chosen based on random draw on 11/31/11 and announced on the Sketchbook Challenge blog either on that day or on 12/1/11.

21 comments:

  1. Argh!!!!!!! I don't know where to start on this challenge. Animals are so hard to draw. Good challenge though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN! Just this morning I was thinking of a collage/sketchbook exercise based on imaginary animals. Inspired, of course, by your book. I can't WAIT to see what our readers do with this, and I can't wait to see what shows up in my own sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great challenge!! can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Catherine - Check out Carla's book for some ideas, strategies and how-to's!
    Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Catherine, please don't be intimidated! Remember, anything goes!! (You don't have to try and draw realistically.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...this is a great theme...maybe it will help me get out of my "I gotta do it right" mode and just put color and pen to paper and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! So excited about this one as it gives me more 'permission' to think up little creatures. I hope animals includes insects and wild things as well, cuz I'm sure I hear a dragonfly in my pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it carla -- I love all of your imaginary animals -- it gives me lots of inspiration :0) looking forward to sill 5 in january --

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes... insects, monster-like, ANYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great theme Carla, and yes, so very you! Love this, may actually get a page or two done for SC this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Challenge!!! Can't wait to get started!! I love drawing anything that doesn't HAVE to be exact!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are just delightful Carla - i love them! Thank you - can't wait to get started on mine!

    Love, violette

    ReplyDelete
  13. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get my drawing to show but It's finally up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone ! It's my first post here, i've taken permission to add the badge on my blog, and have posted my sketches of imaginary animals on it. Don't have posted on Flickr yet, is it a problem ?
    Just love Carla's sketches and paintings !
    Thanks for the challenge and the group :)
    http://clemsartstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clem you don't have to post your photos to the flickr group however, it's the only way to be eligible for the prize packages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks very much for your answer, Sue. I'm still thinking about going on Flickr ... And, i couldn't get my blog url to appear as a link, here, is there a solution ? Thanks very much again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clem I'm not sure how to make a link appear live in comment field. You may want to think about updating your blogger profile though, so that when someone clicks your name they'll find a link to your blog on your profile page.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, Sue ! It must be ok with my favicon (the heart). Sorry, i'm learning, i promise :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply love all the fantastic animals seen here !
    I've added some of mine on my blog : http://clemsartstudio.blogspot.com
    Not really sure to know where to post this message, don't have a flickr gallery yet ...
    Anyway, thanks for passing by and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this month theme as i have been following Carla's blog..It is wonderful. everyone needs to check it out and you will get plenty of hints to do this challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.