Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Text Collage and the E-Zine

Hi. Jane Davies here. I got so inspired by Kelli Nina Perkins' article in our new Sketchbook Challenge E-zine, I made this collage with text. Even though I do use text in some of my collages, and am teaching an online class called "Text and Image: Telling Stories in Collage", Kelli's take on it was so different from my usual way of working, it really expanded my horizons.

I started with a sketch I did about a year ago of a hotel room desk chair:

Then I placed text in and around the drawing, choosing some words to be legible, and other text as background texture:

I applied some acrylic paint, obscuring some text, and giving the piece a more picture-like aspect.

Kelli shows several ways of incorporating text collage into a drawing in her E-zine article. Hers is only one of the many technique-filled how-to's from our Sketchbook Challenge hosts! Take a look inside.


  1. I love this. It's a technique that's going to show up in my art journal. Thanks for sharing.

  2. love what you did! that Kelli is an inspiration indeed!

  3. You gave that ubiquitous office chair personality! Now I want to collage my actual chair. hmmmmm. ... my brain is getting busy

  4. I am always curious where people get the words from, I can see that pages of books etc. work but what about the single words that you want to show? Do you print them on a computer or find them in a book? Where do all these fun word and sayings come from??!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.