Thursday, December 1, 2011

December's Theme-Trashed, Ruined and Decay

December's Theme: Trashed, Ruined and Decay

Susan Sorrell here for the December challenge!  I thought I would use my camera and sketch book to give a creative challenge to myself and the group. You can interpret "Trashed, Ruined and Decay" in anyway and I hope you will run with it. I am always snapping photos of rust, dumpsters, piles of trash, old homes, etc….I don't know why I am so fascinated by stuff that can't be used anymore..maybe because I am a recycler. :) 

Here are some photos of one of my trips to a place where trash seems to accumulate here in Greenville, SC. Poe Mill was a textile mill here in Greenville, SC that burned down years ago. Since then, it has become a dumping ground for the neighborhood. Also, some parts of the buildings can be seen and rolls of fabric that are rotting out in the open. 









I am always picking up stuff too, that I drag back to the studio. Like this old and broken sprinkler head I found while mowing grass this summer. 




I decided to draw it from different angles and it would make a cool composition for an embroidery!



Here are the definitions of Ruined and Decay:

1. Total destruction or disintegration, either physical, moral, social, or economic.
2. A cause of total destruction.
3.a. The act of destroying totally.
b. A destroyed person, object, or building.
4. The remains of something destroyed, disintegrated, or decayed
5. A gradual deterioration to an inferior state



Also, I ran up on a great website of photos on urban decay that are really interesting. http://blueblots.com/photography/urban-decay-photography/

(If you find a link or a photo, please share it with the group!!)

I am always getting ideas for my fiber art from trash dumps and the like. Here is a piece I did called Debris.


This is the original photo that inspired this piece. I played with in in Photoshop and cropped it to get the desired design that I have up above. :)


I love taking photos of rust, decay and trash and find it really inspiring. 
I hope you do too!!


The theme for December is Trashed, Ruined and Decay

How to be eligible for prize drawings:  

In order to be eligible for one of the December prize packages you must post at least one photo of a sketchbook page related to the December theme to the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group and you MUST tag one of your photos with the code "dec258".  
 IMPORTANT:  PLEASE ONLY TAG ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS with this special code!  
It is not necessary to tag more than one and it will not increase your chances of winning.

Information on how to upload photos to flickr can be found 
here.

Winners will be chosen based on random draw on 12/31/11 and announced on the Sketchbook Challenge blog either on that day or on 1/1/12.


5 comments:

  1. Yay! I have been wanting to have a theme of decay....it was for a photo spread, but sketchbook would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my studio would be a great place to look for inspiration on this...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a 'sit on the fence' follower for a while now but I can think of some rural angles to this theme, most of them occurring in nature and caused by nature.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have become a trash picker, to my husbands dismay because I can see the potential in all kinds of debris! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.