Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Old Journal/New, Restructured Journal

Leslie here.  To say that I used up my Sketchbook Project journal is NOT the same as saying I trashed it, but it seems that my journals look like they have quite a bit of "mileage" when they are full!  There is a unique satisfaction in filling the final page of a journal, isn't there?  Along with a filled journal is the excitement and anticipation of the next one!  I opted to participate in yet another round of the Sketchbook project, in addition to continuing as a contributing artist to the Sketchbook Challenge, because I enjoy it so much.  Since the SBP is what inspired our blog, even more reason to continue with it.
When I received my new 5x7 journal, I decided to take it apart and customize the signatures (or paper sections) inside the book.  The only criteria for the books is that the cover must remain the same size:  the depth of the book can be up to one inch.  I wanted more watercolor paper, and since my theme for this round is "Thread and Surface", I put some canvas "pages" in, as well.
Looking at the top of my filled sketchbook.

It is filled with yummy pages of stuff!

Here is the newly-created sketchbook, in front of the filled one....

I can't wait to start working in this new book!

Old and new together.

So, how about you?  Are you in for 2012?  If so, are you choosing a new journal or do you have pages that need drawings before you move to a new one?  I am looking forward to continuing with this wonderful online project in 2012, and I hope you are, too!  The work that you share on the Flickr site is a continuing source of inspiration to me!  Thanks for coming along on our adventure this year.  There is so much more to come!


  1. I actually finished the sketchbook I started with at the beginning of the year and have been working in a moleskin watercolor sketchbook and find I'm really enjoying the size, shape and paper.

    I am in for another year because the Sketchbook Challenge got me to keep a sketchbook in the first place and I really enjoy it!

  2. So glad to read this! I hope you are one of many who plan to continue this journey with us!

  3. I enjoyed following 2011 sketchbook challenge and really happy y'all are continuing with 2012!

  4. I'll be jumping in this year, got me a brand new handbound leather sketchbook for the holidays that requires filling. Can't wait!

  5. This looks like fun and will inspire me to create more goodness!

  6. I have been aware of the SBP for many months now and I have made it my New Year Resolution to join the group along with sketching in my journal daily! As an aspiring Quilt/Fiber artist I read anything I can get my hands on from other artist. Most artist preach the benefits of journaling as resource, inspiration, improved drawing skills, and a way to develop your personal style. So I am looking for to the first of each month. I have purchased a Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal. I have also purchased Water color Pencils and Crayons which I have never seen or heard of before and I am looking forward to seeing what can be done with them. Journaling with also allow me to do more posting on my blog. .

  7. So glad you are all on board for 2012! Let's have a blast, shall we?


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.