Monday, December 12, 2011

Trashy Holidays to You!


I saw an amazing snowflake-cutting tutorial over on michelemademe and thought it was perfect for this month's theme of Trashed, Ruined and Decay, since it makes use of junk mail and magazines laying around gathering dust. I've gotten used to reading on my tablet, phone and eReader, so I don't have so many of those anymore, but there is always a good stash of gently used mags at the Friends of the Library bookstore. This will give them a good pause before they hit the landfill!

I followed her instructions for snowflakes the old-fashioned way, but with a twist. I used magazine pages for the first layer.



The trashy snowflakes were glued to my sketchbook page and then I created a space for my greeting with a blue watercolor rectangle.
 I decided that I needed more snowflakes, so I grabbed some book pages and snipped away. After they were cut, I added purple watercolor. It seemed better to add color afterwards so I wouldn't have to wait for the paper to dry. Cutting wet paper; not a good idea.



After the additional flakes were positioned, it was time to stamp a greeting with paint and alphabet stamps.


When that dried, I added some depth to the letters and the snowflakes by shading them with a Sketch & Wash pencil and blending it with water.



Finally, I added some pen marks and then put the whole thing under the sewing machine foot for some thread sketching.


In order to create my wintertime greeting, I took a photo of my sketchbook page and loaded it into paint.net (www.getpaint.net). A little graphic manipulation and away we go! I love to use my sketchbook as fodder for all sorts of projects. From trash to greeting, 1-2-3! Happy Holidays!



11 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to do. I'm going to use this with my kids classes too. That way they can snip away and not worry how many pages they use making snowflakes! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Junk mail never looked better! Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be fun to do with the stash of Christmas card we have received for the past several years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful Kelli!! way to take the theme and run with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving it! Trashy...well sure! Will be joining you soon...Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cards are adorable! I love the snowflakes and the colors you chose. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your card and it looks like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!! I love how your mind works, Kelli!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.